• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red urine - help please! (with pics)

Sandra

Warren Scout
Good morning everyone! This morning I noticed quite many red urine spots - I have three rabbits together (two neutered males and one spayed female) and I am not sure who this comes from. I took some pictures as you can see below. Is this something to worry about? Should I try to collect some of the urine if test are necessary? I will try to figure out what bun it is... All buns seem normal though, eating and drinking etc.

I read this on the House Rabbit Society website (http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html):

It is not necessary to take your rabbit to the veterinarian for the condition of red (pigmented) urine. But when should you go to your veterinarian? If you see a red or pink color in the urine (orange is OK) and there are no other symptoms, you could wait until normal office hours and ask your veterinarian to test the urine for blood. If you see your rabbit straining to urinate, but there is no urine, go to a veterinarian as soon as possible. An emergency veterinarian should be able to determine if your rabbit is blocked and unable to urinate. If he is not blocked you could wait until the following day so that your regular veterinarian can decide if further tests or an invasive procedure is necessary.

Thanks!

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

I can't see your photos very well, but the spots look a bit 'thick' to be urine :?

Have you checked them all over for wounds? Sometimes a pulled nail can cause blood splatters when they move.

Your vet will easily be able to test for blood with a testing kit

I looked her over and she is messy around her vagina... Will take her to the vet now... Too worried:cry:

Good luck at the vets. Thanks for posting pics - I've not seen that before, so it's useful to know what to look for.

Thanks everyone :wave:

Just got back from the vets, she has a urinary tract infection:| Got Primazol (Trimethoprim 8mg/sulfamethoxazol 40mg), 1-1,5 ml twice a day for seven days and some Chloromycetin 1% cream to put around her infected area. She is eating etc. but I will make sure she drinks a lot. My poor little baby girl:)

IMG_0366.jpg

Thanks everyone :wave:

Just got back from the vets, she has a urinary tract infection:| Got Primazol (Trimethoprim 8mg/sulfamethoxazol 40mg), 1-1,5 ml twice a day for seven days and some Chloromycetin 1% cream to put around her infected area. She is eating etc. but I will make sure she drinks a lot. My poor little baby girl:)

She is both gorgeous and incredibly lucky to have a bun parent who's very much on top of her health.

Back