• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone use this food?

AlbionLass

Alpha Buck
I've been using Bunny Grüner Traum (Green Dream) with Upton for about 4 months, he loves it (he'll eat pretty much anything though, totally not fussy but I like to think I'm doing the best for him) and I was wondering who else uses this food.

I buy it from ZooPlus. It was recommended on the Galen's Garden website.

Upton seems to have lost a little weight on it but that could be because the ingredients list is much simpler than say SS or Excel. It's pretty much just grass and herbs. I've upped his ration slightly to compensate.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, rather than being an extruded pellet like SS it is a larger (bigger than a pony nut) very firmly compressed 3 lobed shaped pellet (like a club in a pack of cards).

With Green Dream Upton's daily ration takes him about 20-30 minutes to eat rather than just 5 as it did with Science Selective and he has to use his incisors to gnaw pieces off the pellets before chewing them, I think this extra dental abrasion is a great benefit of this food but would mean it may be unsuitable for bunnies with dental problems.

My only gripe is that I can no longer use it with his treat ball as it is way too big.

Does anyone else use Grüner Traum and what have been your experiences?

Last edited:
I can honestly say I've never heard of it, but the idea of the big pellet sounds good. There used to be something similar for horses, called Le Brick (original!) but haven't seen it for some time.

I've seen that on Zooplus. It looks quite good I think.

Zooplus do some pretty good food stuff for small animals, my friend reckons their Degus food is great and I've used their rat food myself (well, not eaten it personally, the rat liked it though).

I like the look of their dwarf hamster food but a bit worried about buying it because if I manage to rehome them, their new owner might not buy the same food.

i saw it being sold and advertised at the Thame heritage show looked really healthy! but very small bags they had there.

DSC00029.jpg

Here's is a picture of the pellets with a £1 coin for comparison.

I agree the bags are small, 1.5 kg or 4 kg and it wouldn't be economically viable for someone with several rabbits to use.

*Raven Rexs* -I love the Hares in your sig, I had a Belgian Hare cross when I was in my 'teens and would love a hare now but I don't think there are any breeders in my area.

Last edited:
I've used the guinea pig version, which is very healthy. Unfortunately, only one of my piggies would touch it (and only then when all the other less healthy stuff was used up!)

It looks good, but how does price compare? I hate to bring it up where animals are concerned, but if it's greatly more than other foods it wouldn't be viable when added to all the other things we have to buy.

As I said, it wouldn't be economical for people with more than 2 or 3 bunnies or so (unless you're filthy rich) but for those with only 1 or 2 it's not too bad.

It's around £12 for 4 kg if I remember rightly.

Thats a shame, as I have 3, might as well be 4 considering how big Nigel is, and it's soon to be 4 anyway when BIL goes to Germany. Nevermind.

Back