• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed please with Preloved bun :o(

GemmaH

Mama Doe
I picked the bunny up yesterday. He's in his new home but there's no sign of him having eaten anything or having poo'd since he arrived. He's not laid out or anything and is still hopping around when you go up to him.

Obviously I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take him to the vets this morning but I'm thinking he must be quite stressed, the poor thing went from living with his siblings to living with a piggy so he's not used to being on his own, he's also usually indoors and my hutch is outside (albeit in a very sheltered spot). He's been sitting at the front next to the mesh all the time.

He's only here until next Friday when I'm taking him to Caroline (Bluefox). Has anyone got any advice please?

Thank you x

Hi, :wave:not got any great advice, but do you know what diet he was on before? have you tried tempting him with dandelions if you have any in the garden, hope someone will be along soon with more help:D

Thank you for the suggestion, I was in a bit of a tizz! Just been out now and it looks like he has had a nibble on some greens and he wolfed down a few dandelion leaves, he also had a drink when I actually held the bottle to his mouth. Pray for poos now!

It's a big change for him. Have you got an indoor cage so you can bring him inside, he's probably lonely.

My preloved bun did the same thing. I separated her from the piggy and put her in a hutch and she stopped eating. Before I got her she was fed guinea pig pellets broccoli and carrots.

I brought her indoors and put her back in an indoor cage, next to the piggy and near my own rabbit. She started to eat again but it took nearly two weeks to get her off the broccoli and eating *normal* food and hay.

I moved the piggy after a week, and she has settled down and seems very happy.

I've only got one of these piggy cages http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/guinea_pig_cages/14083 although he could come out in the evenings, which isn't ideal. I guess it's a case of weighing up what is for the best doesn't it?

I'm sure that would be fine for now. Its only temporary and its probably bigger than what he was in before isn't it? If he's used to a small cage then he will feel safer like that until he gets used to everything. As long as he gets a good run round every day he will be fine. :)

It is bigger, yes. Will go and fetch him in.

Thank you! (This is why I don't run a rescue :lol:!)

This is the first time I have done anything like this myself:)

I thought I was doing great putting Sophie in a big hutch, but she must have been scared on her own. I stuck it out for a few days, but she stopped eating and pooing altogether:(

Bringing him in might stress him even more though with two small children and two kitten-cats... I would perhaps be inclined to keep a close eye on him and do that as a last resort. Is there not a spare hutch in your shed? Of put the indoor cage in the shed, at least there he can see the piggies and Honey of course.

I would deffo bring him in. If he has been indoors previously he wont have a thick enough coat to keep himself warm. The 'not eating' may be due to him being very cold.
Personally I would bring him in, even if he has to be in a small cage for a short time. Place him in a quiet room and make that room out-of-bounds for the cats and children. A heat pad may be needed if he is cold. He wont eat/poo until his body temperature has returned to normal.

Janex

Place him in a quiet room and make that room out-of-bounds for the cats and children. A heat pad may be needed if he is cold. He wont eat/poo until his body temperature has returned to normal.

Janex

Good idea :thumb:

Gemma - I have a heatpad if you want to borrow it I'm in all afternoon :)

Ahhhh i just want to say thankyou, to all of you that are helping this very special bun. Tell him to hang in tight Gem he'll be home soon enough, lots of cuddles and kisses await his arrival :D :D

Quick update - we have a poo, just one but better than nothing. Have brought him into the kitchen and everyone noisy or predatory is banned (although he is used to small children, there were two where he came from). He's in his carrier while I sort a cage out for him. I did think a bit about it being cold but where he came from they said that he went between the indoor cage and an outdoor hutch so I thought he might be ok. I think he was lonely as well because he was just sitting at the front of the hutch, fingers crossed for improvements now - we live and learn, thank goodness for RU again!

Thanks all x

Quick update - we have a poo, just one but better than nothing. Have brought him into the kitchen and everyone noisy or predatory is banned (although he is used to small children, there were two where he came from). He's in his carrier while I sort a cage out for him. I did think a bit about it being cold but where he came from they said that he went between the indoor cage and an outdoor hutch so I thought he might be ok. I think he was lonely as well because he was just sitting at the front of the hutch, fingers crossed for improvements now - we live and learn, thank goodness for RU again!

Thanks all x

I glad he poo'd:) That's strange about the hutch though, I thought the add said they were stuck in and indoor cage together? I took that to mean they had nowhere else to put them:?

We have poos! Quite a decent pile too *phew*!

Thanks everyone for your advice, fingers crossed he'll continue to improve now :)

xx

just thought id add that he was absolutly fine whilst with me. he did go out in a big hutch and only fetched him in during the really cold nights i know a bunny left outside probs wouldnt bother with the cold if given enought bedding but i couldnt leave him out there he was let out in the evening when kids were in bed to run riot arround my house and was fed a good diet mixture of dried rabbit food and fresh veg also grass and dandilions my daughter picks for him he was in no way badly treat just thought id add my point!!!

just thought id add that he was absolutly fine whilst with me. he did go out in a big hutch and only fetched him in during the really cold nights i know a bunny left outside probs wouldnt bother with the cold if given enought bedding but i couldnt leave him out there he was let out in the evening when kids were in bed to run riot arround my house and was fed a good diet mixture of dried rabbit food and fresh veg also grass and dandilions my daughter picks for him he was in no way badly treat just thought id add my point!!!

Ohh im getting :?were you the previous owner?

Back