• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home from spey question!

cazh

Warren Scout
Minnie went in for her spey today. When I picked her up from the vet at 6.30 they said it went well and she had eaten and was up and about but since i've been home (since about 7pm) she's just been lying down and hasn't touched anyy food/hay or water. I've read up on here the best things to try to encourage eating and drinking - putting some water in a bowl, putting in all her favourite foods, carrot (even grated carrot to make it easier), spinach and brocoli. She also has pellets in there too and plenty of hay, all close by so she doesn't even have to move. I've tried to get her to eat but she refuses to move or even open her mouth. I called the vet and she said its normal for them to not eat for a while, but there is no droppings or wee in her tray and she hasn't eaten for nearly 4 hours now. I don't know what is best. Is it normal for them not to touch a thing in this time? or shall I try and syringe some food/water into her - she really hates this and i'm normally very unsuccessful. Will she be ok if I wait until the morning before calling the vet if she hasn't eaten/drunk by then? surely she can't wait over 12 hours with no food or water?! Or do I stay up with her to try and tempt her to something? I'm really worried as I don't want her to deteriorate over night. She's lying down and hasn't moved at all. :(

I think quite often they'll go for 12 hours without eating post spay - a lot depends on when they were operated on. If the op was about 2pm then she won't really wake up much till 2am tonight - I would have a nap then get up and see how she is. When Maa was really ill this week she would still eat dandelions, if you have a torch and can find any growing in the garden? I also made her porridge from a teaspoon of pellets with a teaspoon of porridge oats - splash of boiling water from the kettle - let it soak and fluff up for 10 mins then mash a slice of banana into it and mash it all together. I also gave her her water warmed from the kettle too - in fact I put a splash of peach squash in it to tempt her. I doubt your girl will feel much like eating till later tonight though, so get some sleep if you can - hope she's better tomorrow :)

forgot to add - are you keeping her warm? they go into shock from the operation, and their blood pressure drops and they feel the cold more - hospitals are warm for that reason.

Yes she's lying on a soft blanket and i've put in a wheat cushion what i heated for a bit in the microwave to warm it and i've set this next to her.

Thank you for your advise. Her cage is normally in our front room but i'm going to move it up to my room so I can check on her during the night.

Unfortunately i don't think we have any dandelion leaves in our garden but all her favourite food is in there so hopefully she'll eat when she's hungry. I tried pushing the water bowl nearer her to encourage her to drink but she pushed it away with her nose so guess she's not interested. I'll try putting the juice in it and a dash of warm water to tempt her too. Wish me luck!

I called the vet at 1pm this afternoon and they said the op went well so she must have been done this morning. Vet said she'd eaten this afternoon but she's not touched anything since. Looks like I'll have a sleepless night looking after her. Surely she has to eat or drink something sooner or later or i'll be back at the vets tomorrow. She's only just recovered from statis so i'm really worried she wont eat again. All these vet visits must stress her out too.

Really hope she perks up soon, can only endorse what's already been said about tempting her and keeping her warm. Might be worth asking the vet if she needs more pain relief if she's not improved by tomorrow. I know when Phoebe was spayed, she did manage to eat some Dandelion leaves, despite not wanting anything else.

when Beatrix was speyed in the new year she didnt eat hardly anything for 4 days,i just kept her warm and cosy and let her rest,we had to take her back to the vets 2 days later which was routine to check her stitches etc,have you got another appointment?I am sure she will pick up soon xx

Back