• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing 2 rabbits

MrAmazing

New Kit
We have just recieved a new adorable Holland Lop and were thinking about getting a Flemish Giant, but we're not sure about housing 2 rabbits. We've heard horrible stories about them killing eachother. So is this true and if it is, is there any other way to have them in the same house? Thanks in advance!

They both have to be done and then bonded which you could look up on here,i have bonded several times but you have to follow a procedure;)

I recommend a male-female pair (neutered of course). You are going to need pretty big housing for two rabbits that size. But they shouldnt fight if neutered and introduced properley.

But if you neuter them can't you not show them after that? Our Holland Lop's a show bunny

hmmm...I don't know anything about showing rabbits. Though I think it's ridiculous that they have to be intact to be showed. Surely it should be what's best for the bun, and that is to be neutered..... Also rabbits are happier in pairs, so does that mean all show bunnies have to live solitary lives?

Why can't they be showed if they are neutered?? i don't understand how it would alter their appearance?

You can't keep unneutered males together (they fight) so if you can't neuter him whilst he's being shown then he'll have to be housed singly for now. You can put them in separate houses next to each other as long as the mesh separating them is fine enough to stop them biting each other through it.

Tamsin

I was just answering the question. :shock: They are the show rules not mine

And I'm just stating my opinion. I find it odd that rabbit "fanciers" (lovers?) seem to think it's fine to place their rabbits at such risk...all the difference it makes is that does don't get much of a dewlap...if any.

Im not going to argue. I was answering the original question that was asked thats all. Wish i had not bothered now. Why does every question on here have to end up in argueing. If he wants to show his rabbit its up to him. And believe me if a rabbit does not like being shown you would know about it and it would not go out again!!

And I'm just stating my opinion. I find it odd that rabbit "fanciers" (lovers?) seem to think it's fine to place their rabbits at such risk...all the difference it makes is that does don't get much of a dewlap...if any.

:oops:Didn't know this. So neutered buns get dewlaps, like neutered cats get baggy bellies? Or am I totally wrong?

How do you house the male now? If he is in the house he will spray if he is entire (from experience) And he will become grumpy. My Nigel started harrassing my husband and flicking wee at him every time I left the house! :lol::lol::lol:

That's two totally different things though isn't. If you have a rabbit as a pet then of course you'd rather neuter than show. If you've brought a rabbit as a show bunny then neutering doesn't make much sense :)

The original poster asked for advice on housing not for views on showing so can we stick to the original question please.

Tamsin

:oops:Didn't know this. So neutered buns get dewlaps, like neutered cats get baggy bellies? Or am I totally wrong?

How do you house the male now? If he is in the house he will spray if he is entire (from experience) And he will become grumpy. My Nigel started harrassing my husband and flicking wee at him every time I left the house! :lol::lol::lol:

kind of, a spayed doe will not get a dewlap, or it will be much smaller in comparison to an un-spayed doe.

Grumpy bunnies in houses are bad! :lol:

That's two totally different things though isn't. If you have a rabbit as a pet then of course you'd rather neuter than show. If you've brought a rabbit as a show bunny then neutering doesn't make much sense :)

The original poster asked for advice on housing not for views on showing so can we stick to the original question please.

Tamsin

Yes, housing two rabbits not one. You can't do that if they aren't neutered.

kind of, a spayed doe will not get a dewlap, or it will be much smaller in comparison to an un-spayed doe.

Grumpy bunnies in houses are bad! :lol:
Ah ok. Gotcha. I can't see why a dewlap would be a nice thing to show though :roll:
And I'm so glad I got Nigel neutered, he started really stalking O/H and biting his feet, flicking wee, generally being mean - all when I wasn't around :lol: :lol:

I love having him indoors though, at the moment he's flopped out in front of the TV :D

SO: My advice would be to get one or both neutered, and keep them indoors as house buns. Or- keep them in seperate rooms of the house :)

:wave: sadly the answer is theyd have to be kept sepeately at all times.and if you can in different rooms as hormonal does always manage to escape to get their way or beat the other bunny up/kill it.

getting spraye don by a male who can smeel a female is one thing..but having a doe with PMT chasing you cos you smell of the fella bunny..esp if that does the big bunny then um run!!:lol:

saying that a shower i know hasnt got those probs with her buns outside as theyre hosued int he shed and have runs outside but cant actually get to each other.
shes theone who told me the rabbit showing business is as dirty as those kiddie pageants with tricks people use..one bun had chewing gum in its lovely angora coat..another had food dye sprayed all over it etc etc just in time for the owner or judge to find it but no culprit in sight....
:shock:

you wouldnt think itd happen at bunny shows!!

Back