• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscars just had his Plums off <<Help needed please!!>>

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Oscar my six month old giant boy has just been neuterd.
hes resting at the moment, and havent noticed any changes in his behaivour, eating etc.

is there any advice you could give me for after care?
the vet-nurse wasnt very helpful and didnt give me much advice, except a general after care sheet.

i was testing her to see if she got this right, and i asked her when could i put him with my un-neuterd female, and she said a few days :shock:... dont think ill follow that advice!!

any advice would help!! thank you! :wave:

Last edited:
Make sure he keeps eating put lots of different bits in. Beware if he starts to excessively wash or chew his wound as my Oscar caused his to swell so they were bigger than they were before he went in. I'm sure he'll bounce back just fine. :)

I used towels as a base for mine to lay on after their op's as hay and woodsavings can agrivate the wound.

I'd leave it about 8 wks till you put him with the female as they can stay fertile for 6-8weeks so better to be safe. But would be best to get the female neutered first before you atempt bonding it'll make it much easier and also you won't have to re-bond them when she goes in to be spayed.

Make sure he keeps eating put lots of different bits in. Beware if he starts to excessively wash or chew his wound as my Oscar caused his to swell so they were bigger than they were before he went in. I'm sure he'll bounce back just fine.
My rabbit Todd was neutred on Wed and one side of his is quite swollen he was sprayed with silver spray so i think he is licking it off .What happened with oscar did he need any extra treatment or did it go down by itself ?

same as kas1uk,
Oscar keeps cleaning his wounds and it seems quite swollen!!
im quite worrid about this, or would it eventually go away by itself?

its hard to check how bad it is, as whenever i turn him around he sqaubbles, its hard trying to fight a giant!!

same as kas1uk,
Oscar keeps cleaning his wounds and it seems quite swollen!!
im quite worrid about this, or would it eventually go away by itself?

its hard to check how bad it is, as whenever i turn him around he sqaubbles, its hard trying to fight a giant!!

Hi,

You need to check to see if he is nibbling at his stitches. It's not that uncommon for swelling to occur but it could be that he has something like a haematoma...again not uncommon. I would probably get him checked (he should be due a check up anyway) and if there is a haematoma or any sign of infection I would have him started on seom antibiotics.

Hi,

You need to check to see if he is nibbling at his stitches. It's not that uncommon for swelling to occur but it could be that he has something like a haematoma...again not uncommon. I would probably get him checked (he should be due a check up anyway) and if there is a haematoma or any sign of infection I would have him started on seom antibiotics.

they are soluble stiches. thenurse said theres no need to come in again unless theres a problem. and sorry for my niavity (is that a real word?) but whats a haematoma?

thanks! :wave:

My bugs swelled up too, it's post op bruising (Haematoma) this should go down..make sure he's not on any sticky bedding like shavings, Bugs was on paper and hay in a rack, the swelling should be gone by about a weeks time, just make sure he is eating and drinking well! He sounds like he'll be fine!Oh and pooing well too! heheheeh:)

they are soluble stiches. thenurse said theres no need to come in again unless theres a problem. and sorry for my niavity (is that a real word?) but whats a haematoma?

thanks! :wave:
:wave:
A haematoma develops when a little blood escapes back into the scrotum after the testicles are removed and causes swelling. Usually it will heal itself but it does help to give antibiotics because the area is a hot spot for infection. If you are not experienced with rabbits being neutered he should have a check up. Soluble stitches can still cause irritation....do you know if any glue was used too? they should really still check him out because although they are soluble he could still be chewing at the area. I had one rabbit who actually had an allergic reaction to the soluble stitches and had to have them removed as he developed an infection. Sure he'lll be fine :)

aahh ok!
should i restrict his movement? its only been a couple of days, but he's itching to run around outside.

Have you not got to go back for a post-op check? The vets that both mine go to were really strict about booking an appointment for a couple of days time before I left with them.

I'd let him have a run around in the house rather than outside at the moment, just until you are sure he is ok.

Back