• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penicillin Injections.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry, more Lexie related questions.

When I picked up Lexie's meds today Claire (the vet nurse) mentioned that Anneke had suggested trying Lex on weekly Penicillin injections when she got back.

I've made an appointment for 5:30pm Monday.

I am still going to ask her about Cephalexin but have a few questions on Penicillin anyway:

1. How common is it for a rabbit to have a reaction to Penicillin?
2. Is it possible for them to be fine with it and then suddenly have a reaction to another jab a week or more later?
3. How is anaphylactic shock treated in rabbits?
4. Is a probiotic going to be enough to help offset the damage to the gut flora in a rabbit with an already compromised digestive system?
5. Is once a week the general recommendation?

Molly has penicillin injections for his abscess, once every 3 days for 1 1/2 weeks and had no reactions.

My vet suggested take he took fibreplex, along with bio-lapis. I think he also had zantac from what I can remember. I was advised to keep him off carbohydrate foods/high in sugar a week before and during the injections- no carrots, fruit etc (he only had them as a treat anyway. Hay is essential so I was advised to make sure he had plenty of different options available to him.

I think the injections made his caecotrophs less palatable, so it was a case of hand feeding them.

Every rabbit is different and some do have reactions, my vet however said she has treated over 200 rabbits with penicillin injections and only one had an adverse reaction after 2 weeks of being on the injections.

Hope Lexie is ok vibes for her xxx

1-AnyBun can have an allergic reaction to Penicillin, but it is *not* common.

2- I have never encountered a Bun who has been OK on Depocillin injections and then suddenly become allergic

3 - Anaphylaxis is treated with adrenaline/oxygen/antihistamines

4 - Fibreplex would be a good probiotic to give. If the Depocillin was to be given more frequently than every 3 days I'd consider giving QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

5 - Once a week may not be enough to achieve adequate blood concentration. My Buns are usually started off on once every other day reducing to once every 3 days as symptoms resolve.

Janex

Im sure I have read of people developing an allergy to Penicillin in later life :?

Very true, you can become allergic to something at any time even if had it hundreds of times before:)

Hope Lexie gets better soon:)

Last edited:
Very true, you can become allergic to something at any time even if had it hundreds of times before:)

Hope Lexie gets better soon:)

Thank you :wave:

She will be joining the long succession of bunnies who have come to work with me on Monday, Im quite looking forward to it :lol:

1-

4 - Fibreplex would be a good probiotic to give. If the Depocillin was to be given more frequently than every 3 days I'd consider giving QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Janex
Sorry to butt in but can you explain the above article in simple English Jane as I don't understand it :oops: . The reason I ask is that Kiki is on amoxicillin injections every 2 days and I've been given protexin for her but not this.

By the way, good luck with Lexie Sooz :wave:

Apologies for killing the topic :( :oops: . Kiki has another injection tomorrow so I'll ask the Vet what this is.

Sorry to butt in but can you explain the above article in simple English Jane as I don't understand it :oops: . The reason I ask is that Kiki is on amoxicillin injections every 2 days and I've been given protexin for her but not this.

By the way, good luck with Lexie Sooz :wave:

Sorry, didnt see this before :oops:

Cholestyramine (AKA 'Questran' ) is a POM used in humans to treat high cholesterol and IBS/Crohns Disease. In Buns it can be given (off licence if you have a Vet who will oblige) to try to prevent Penicillin induced enteritis/enterotoxaemia. It prevents the enterotoxins ( 'bad' gut bacteria ), which may proliferate due to the Penicillin, from adhering to the gut wall. It binds up the enterotoxins so they are excreted and not absorbed.

From an article by Dana Krempels :

C. Cholestyramine (Questran)

is a granular resin with a high affinity for negatively charged, hydrophobic compounds, such as those produced by Clostridium spiroformes as toxins. Cholestyramine is used in human medicine to reduce serum cholesterol, and so is readily available at most pharmacies. If the rabbit has mucus in the stool, there is a good chance that Clostridium bacteria are proliferating and producing dangerous exotoxins. Questran will absorb these and be passed out harmlessly in the feces. Questran should be suspended in a generous amount of liquid (1/2 teaspoon of powder in at least 20 cc of water) and administered orally: because of its hydrophilic properties, it can dehydrate intestinal contents if given with insufficient water. Questran does not affect the action of the intestine; it is not absorbed by the body. Rather, it works directly upon the contents of the gut. We believe this substance has helped save the lives of many rabbits suffering from a severely inflamed intestine simply by sequestering toxins and buying time while gut motility medications and other treatments get the intestine moving again. It is safe and effective, used as directed.

Questran saved my Bobbie's life :)

Janex

Last edited:
Hiya! Iv got Mummy bunny on Penicilin daily for E-cuniculi and had absolutely no problems apart from with the actual medicine being very thick. You need to make sure its realy shaken before you administer. We also leave the bottle on the radiator shelf for 5mins before:) Bio Lapis is good but the injections are far safer for tummys as theyre not oral they do not directly destroy the flora. :wave:

Back