• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Second opinion?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Many of you may know the situation with Jazzy he had one abscess removed about 2 months ago, He now has multiple abcess's in his neck area which are not attached to anything so are not connected to his jaw. Took him to the vets again on monday and they told me basicly the same thing as last time wait and see what they are like next month as they dont want to do anything about them now.

Should I got to another vets for a second opinion? How do I go about this without sounding rude?

Thanks

i would, just dont tell the other vet unless you have to if your worried about sounding rude!but who would you listen to?a trusuted vet or a new opinion of a random vet?

The current vets they go I see a diffrent one everytime. I have been told of a few bunny savvy vets near me (the current vets is not on that has been reccomended but is easy to get to) I think Id have to tell them because of the notes etc..

I would ask your current Vet Practice for a referal for a second opinion. I think it wrong to just go to another Vet and say nothing as that means the new Vet has no previous clinical notes to look at and with an ongoing problem it is useful for the new Vet to know what has been done before. Infact, some previous treatments can impact on what future treatments are appropriate.

Is Jazzy on any antibiotics at the moment?
Was a culture done from the previous abscess ?

Janex

I agree with Jane, I had a second opinion for mollys ear abscess, my previous vets were fine with it and faxed over the notes to my new rabbit savvy vet. It was the best thing I have done, as mollys ear canal had closed over so my new vet had to do a lateral ear canal resection. My previous vets didn't even know his ear canal had closed over. Most vets are fine with you getting a second opinion, they are usually quite used to it. Just explain that you are going to a rabbit savvy vet who has been recommended and would it be possible to send over the notes. My vets were fine with this, however, molly is still 'technically' registered with them still, so they have no problem if I need medication or probiotics of things like that. Not sure if all vets will do this though.

Personally, I think it can be potentialy dangerous to leave abscesses with no intervention such as antibiotics, surgery or draining. If you do go for a second opinion, I would strongly recommend a culture test done so you can see which antibiotic will be the most effective.

xxx

Thank you for the replys :) I dont want to just leave the abcess's thats why I was concernd.

Jane - The answer is no to both questions I was told there were no effective antibiotics for abcess's.

Do I just phone the vet and ask for a copy of his records first or make appointment with new vet then ask for records? I really dont want to sound rude :oops:

What I did, was when I found the rabbit savvy vet, I phoned the practice and said I wanted to come in to chat about the different options re: abscesses. I explained I was registered with my old vet etc but wanted to know if there was any other options. I was very lucky as the new vet rang up my old vet to get the notes faxed over. However, I did call them and explained that this vet offered different options and that I was happy with what they have done for Molly, I just wanted to try some other things. They were fine with it and had no problem.

You wont sound rude if you explain that you want to refer jazzy to a vet who has lots of experience with abscesses and that you want to have a chat about the different options, there will be loads of people who want second opinions, you are not the first and wont be the last. To be honest, I wasn't worried about sounding rude (I don't think I did..!) I just wanted to do what was best for Molly.

Make sure you have a vet you want to see first, then ring up your old vet, explain the situation and that you want the notes faxed over. :)

Ok so I could just phone the new vets and arrange a chat over the phone or without taking Jazz in and if they can offer different options just phone my old vet and explain. :)

You could do, the best thing I think is to call new vet, get a consultation to take Jazzy in as they need to see him first to discuss the treatment options. Phone old vet and say you are taking him in for a consultation to discuss the options, could you fax over the notes.

xx

You don't have to feel obligated to keep going to any one particular vet, nor should you worry about offending anyone. Some of us have great relationships with our vets and that's fantastic, but if you want a second opinion that is perfectly acceptable. You don't have to explain your reasons or justify it to your existing vet.
If you find a rabbit savvy vet just call your existing practice and they will happily fax over your details to your new vet. No need to try and justify it to them, they have this sort of thing happen everyday.

A lot of practices have multiple vets working there and it makes things more complicated when you have to see a different vet every time you go in.....and each one tells you something different :roll: Go with your instincts and seek a second opinion.

You don't have to feel obligated to keep going to any one particular vet, nor should you worry about offending anyone. Some of us have great relationships with our vets and that's fantastic, but if you want a second opinion that is perfectly acceptable. You don't have to explain your reasons or justify it to your existing vet.
If you find a rabbit savvy vet just call your existing practice and they will happily fax over your details to your new vet. No need to try and justify it to them, they have this sort of thing happen everyday.

A lot of practices have multiple vets working there and it makes things more complicated when you have to see a different vet every time you go in.....and each one tells you something different :roll: Go with your instincts and seek a second opinion.

I agree - you should not feel like you are offending anyone, At the end of the day, you are doing what is best for your bunny, if that means going for a second opinion then so be it. The only reason why I called up my old vet to explain was because they have looked after Molly since he was a baby and have always looked after him well when hes been in surgery etc. I also had a good relationship with them so I was being courteous.

Main priority is Jazzy gets the help he needs, feeling rude doesn't come in to it so don't worry about it :)

I agree - you should not feel like you are offending anyone, At the end of the day, you are doing what is best for your bunny, if that means going for a second opinion then so be it. The only reason why I called up my old vet to explain was because they have looked after Molly since he was a baby and have always looked after him well when hes been in surgery etc. I also had a good relationship with them so I was being courteous.

Main priority is Jazzy gets the help he needs, feeling rude doesn't come in to it so don't worry about it :)

I think you gave good advice :wave:

Vet are great, but they all have different views and ideas on how things should be done so it sometimes is a good thing to seek another opinion....unless you are 100% confident that your vet knows what they are doing. :lol:

I still do loads of research even when I have a rabbit savvy vet... :D

Everytime I go into se my vet im waving an article or some information from here with new ideas that may work :rolleyes: My vet probably groans everytime she sees im due in :lol:

I still do loads of research even when I have a rabbit savvy vet... :D

Everytime I go into se my vet im waving an article or some information from here with new ideas that may work :rolleyes: My vet probably groans everytime she sees im due in :lol:

He he mine too..... :lol::lol::lol:
In fact I actually get embarrassed at how often I am there, and the fact they all know me personally...and recognise my voice on the phone :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

Haha me too! I don't even have to say my last name... just 'molly' and they know who I am. I also know the other 'regulars' and the vets too... we have a gossip in the waiting room :lol:

Even more sad is the fact I have my own seat in the waiting room.... and I scowl if someone is sat in it... :lol:

Think the longest I havent been to the vets is about 2 weeks. They probably thought something terrible had happened. :lol:

Haha me too! I don't even have to say my last name... just 'molly' and they know who I am. I also know the other 'regulars' and the vets too... we have a gossip in the waiting room :lol:

Even more sad is the fact I have my own seat in the waiting room.... and I scowl if someone is sat in it... :lol:

Think the longest I havent been to the vets is about 2 weeks. They probably thought something terrible had happened. :lol:

Sounds familiar.....:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I bet secretly they think we are mad :oops::oops:

I have some of the staff on my facebook friend list :lol:

Saying that, it's nice when you have a practice so friendly, I've made some long term friends there and it's nice to be able to have someone you can ask advice from when I'm not actually at the vets :roll:

Sounds familiar.....:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I bet secretly they think we are mad :oops::oops:

I have some of the staff on my facebook friend list :lol:

Saying that, it's nice when you have a practice so friendly, I've made some long term friends there and it's nice to be able to have someone you can ask advice from when I'm not actually at the vets :roll:

Haha I was going to add some of the staff on facebook... but then I thought better not as i'll be posting on their walls updates of Molly's toilet habits :lol:

Haha I was going to add some of the staff on facebook... but then I thought better not as i'll be posting on their walls updates of Molly's toilet habits :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I try not to talk to them about veterinary related things if I can help it :rolleyes:

however I do always text my vet friend who is an expert on bunnies....I'm sure she will start charging me soon :shock:

Hi, Thanks for the advice have phoned other vets and got Jazzy booked in with the vet recomded to me 4.20 on monday evening now all thats left is to phone other vets on monday morning and see if they can fax Jazz's notes through to the new vet. Just trying to think how to word it I hate using the phone :oops:

Just say 'jazzy has been booked in for a consulation with a vet that has been recommended to me to discuss some options for his abscess, they need his notes, can you fax them over by monday, thank you ' :D You will need the fax number of the new vets also so they can send them across. Don't be scared, they wont mind!

Back