• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skin reaction to VHD jab?

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
My buns all had their VHD jabs last Thursday and just noticed a 50p sized bald patch on Mavis that looks quite red and sore where she had the jab.

Is there anything I can do? Does she need to see the vet?

Hi Lou, Fudge had a bald patch after his vhd :( he also stopped eating for the night aswell and was unsteady on his feet. .

Hi Lou, Fudge had a bald patch after his vhd :( he also stopped eating for the night aswell and was unsteady on his feet. .

This is like a week later though?? She was off her food a bit on Monday but was ok, eating and pooing a few hours later.

Was Fudge's bald patch where he had the jab?

Looks like this...

R0014445_800x600.jpg

:cry: - Joe

Last edited:
This was Lola's reaction to her VHD vaccination a couple of years ago

000_0183.jpg

I posted on here and was advised to keep an eye on it, which I did and it soon healed up :) She didnt get a reaction last year but I think that was because they used a different one.

A local skin reaction is quite common. Seemingly more so with Cylap than Lapinject in my experience.
As long as the area remains clean and dry it should heal up. But it may take several weeks to do so. It is better not to put any creams or lotions on it as they can aggrevate the skin even more.

To minimise the risk of a skin reaction a different needle should be used to give the vaccination from the one used to draw the vaccine up. Also, massaging the site of innoculation helps disperse the vaccine.

Janex

Back