• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treated fleas with Advantage--okay?

Deanna01

New Kit
Hi, all. I posted a worry here before, and you were all very reassuring, and I now have another one.

We noticed yesterday that Hip-hop had absolutely horrible fleas--to the point where he had a bald spot on his back. I searched the net and found a site that said kitten Advantage is safe, and I called his vet and asked. They said yes, it was, so I went and picked some up.

I applied it last night, and today Hip-hop won't come out of his cage. I did see him eat some hay, but we normally leave his cage open and let him come and go from it. (He uses it as a litterbox.)

We did remove the rugs from the room he's in, to wash them, so it probably looks different to him. We did NOT spray the room. Does anyone have experience with Advantage to know if it's safe like I had heard? What should I watch for in him further? If it has made his sick, is there anything that can be done? I'm worried about him. :-(

Advantage is safe to use on rabbits, it is the front line which can be toxic to them.

Normally I believe it is best to treat the whole house with flea treatmeat as well as any rugs. Obviously all animals need to be kept out of the place as long as the instructions suggest.

Did you actually see the fleas (little black bugs) or just the effect on his coat (baldness/soreness etc.). If you didn't see them he may well have mites not fleas.

Are the rugs back? Rabbits tend to be a bit unsure of slippy floors so he may be reluctant to jump out without the rugs there.

Is he still pooping?

If he's still under the weather tommorow I'd be tempted to pop him in for a vet check just incase.

Tam

advantage is what i swear by but any bun can react i guess but i wonder if its the fact the fleas were so abundant and the stuff is killing htem off and that makes fleas go nuts and can be very uncomfortable for the bunny. maybe thats why so quiet? bif got them off our kittys and they had never been out but i had someone visit me whose cat did and a neighbours cat had them and i am alwys the idiot who storkes all the animals i see and they all know me:oops:

i used advantage a week apart and ridded the fleas on my kits 100%. i only ever use a steam cleaner..they do kill the larvae and melt the egg casings.

BUT if your not happy using a chemical treatment for the environment,,,as the vet for SKOOSH....

http://www.skooshthefleas.com/skoosh/

Hi, guys. Thank you for your replies. He did seem a bit subdued for a day, but he was still eating and pooping. The next day he seemed fine and continues to do so. Thank you!

We did see the actual fleas, yeah, and all the flea dirt that went with them. The poor bun had a bad case! I think he picked them up at the vet, truthfully.

Back