• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buddy's bum

mrs*spoon

Warren Scout
Buddys 11 weeks old and over the last few weeks his poo's have been fine then saturday night while he was out in the house in his litter tray he did some diarrhea like poos but after being put back in his cage he was fine. then sunday evening the same happened after doing loads of normal poo's he did these diarrhea like ones but later they went back to normal. same thing happened monday also but he's been fine until today when it happened again!!!

he doesnt eat much hay but he scoff's his normal food. he ate more hay when we first got him but isn't as interested in it now. he had some grass yesterday which he loved and his poo's were perfectly fine all day yesterday but today he did some cecal (is that what they are called??) ones in his tray then some more runny!

does anyone know why this could be that he has little phases of it? do i need to get him to eat more hay? and if so how can i make him have more? any advice would be muchly appreciated!!

Are you sure these are not all cecotrophs? If so then have you been feeding lots of pellets/veg/fruit? If you have you could try changing to almost 100% good quality hay for a few days to see if it makes a difference. 12 weeks is quite young to handle more than tiny amounts of veg and it needs to be introduced gradually. And of course get him to a vet if an improvement isnt seen soon

Good luck

P.s-Sorry just read the bit about his food. He really needs to be eating lots of hay. Id seriously just give him massive handfuls of it and nothing else for a couple of days to encourage him to eat it or his digestion will suffer. Usually the more hay thats on offer the more hell eat, especially if you dont give him pellets or other food (but obviously take him straight to a vet if he stops eating altogether)

Last edited:
What pellets are you feeding your rabbit on?

Was yseterday the first day he had been on the grass? How long was he on the grass for?

How much pelleted food do you give your rabbit a day?

What pellets are you feeding your rabbit on?

Was yseterday the first day he had been on the grass? How long was he on the grass for?

How much pelleted food do you give your rabbit a day?

he's not on pellets yet, he's on the food he was on when he came to us. i do have some pellets though that i need to introduce to him slowly! i dont know the name of the food though?

yesterday morning was the first time he had grass yes but he was fine all day, it was only this lunch time that his poo's went like that!! and saturday, sunday and monday the only food that was available to him was hay and his normal food. he had a small handful of grass that i had taken from the garden.

Back