• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q for people who feed bonded buns separately..

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
.... is there anyone that has to separate a bonded pair at feeding time due to aggression?

I want to know how common this is and what routines you have.

Broome is aggressive towards Bobbin, I think she's paranoid that he's taken her food :(

It's not ideal by any means, but is it doable? Is the quality of life not compromised at all? Are they ever truely bonded if they are separated like this?

Thank you x

I separate Kendra cos I'm terrified she will lose weight. She eats like a horse, but is tiny & skinny. She's separate for about 15 minutes per day - for pellets only, not the veg meal at brekkie. I used to put Alfie with her, cos he doesn't "fight" at food time, but he seems to get his share now:D

I feed Dixie and Crunchie separately, but not because of aggression...Dixie has teeth problems and eats slowly...they need to be apart because otherwise Crunchie would eat all the food.

Apart from this they do everything together, and are one of my closest pairs :D

I thought I'd have the same problems with Bella and Tarquin when they were first bonded as Bell was very food territorial and I was sure she'd have a go at T. She also wolfs all hers down in seconds while T is a lot slower. At first I did feed them in separate areas and gradually moved the bowls closer to each other.

Now I don't give them their full amount of pellets in the morning and handfeed them both the rest in the evening which they both love and seems to work well.

Maybe in time Broome will settle down and realise there's nothing to worry about?

Mine aren't aggressive as such but very very pushy and competitive when it comes to food. I just always make sure I scatter the pellets or put two piles of food to avoid any tiffs! :roll:

Not seperated as such but Dumpling is fed on the bottom tier of the hutch and Treacle on the top, otherwise Dumpling would hog the food dish (no fighting involved) and Treacle wouldn't get enough.
If I give them a treat, piece of carrot or banana both will run to their eating area even if I give out the food at the top of the hutch.

My buns are aggressive towords each other before they are fed, not while they eat. When they think they are going to get fed, they chase, nip bum and circle round each other. I'm afraid they are going to fight so I throw the pellets on the floor as fast as I can.. :roll: I always measure up the food beforehand so I can give it to them quick.

Back