• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

some advice please

matt987106

New Kit
we picked up out 2 rabbits at the start of the week

2 X 8 Week girls

1 of them is poo'ing fine

the other is poo'ing long squishy stuff ( cecotroph i belive )

we have phoned the pet shop ( who seemed to know what they were on about when we got the rabbits ) and they said we must be feeding them too much, which they warned us about, we have been carefull not to feed them too much )

we have a small dish which we fill the bottom of it morning and evening time

they also have a little hay to graze on

any advice

cut down on the feed in the dish ? ? ? ?

cut down on the hay ? ? ?

thanks
matt

thanks, i thought that would be the answer

just out of interest

can they eat too much hay ? ? ? ?

how much should they have, 2 fist sized balls a day each ? ? ? or more than that ? ? ? ?

Yes they need unlimited hay, but at this point you should not need to ration pellets. Being 8 weeks old they need a lot of calories to help with growth. Avoid veg for the time being and consider weaning them onto a better pellet if they are currently eating muesli type food!

Hay, hay and more hay!, a bunnies diet should be 80% hay, they can never have too much, make sure they have access to fresh hay every day.

Good luck with them

unlimited hay it is then :)

that might have been the problem, they were only have a handfull morning and night and it was gone within 1 hour

whats a good food to give them, they are currently on the food shop gave us, russell junior rabbit food

unlimited hay it is then :)

that might have been the problem, they were only have a handfull morning and night and it was gone within 1 hour

whats a good food to give them, they are currently on the food shop gave us, russell junior rabbit food

Excel Junior and Dwarf, but if you are going to change their food you will need to do it slowly, bit by bit each day otherwise they could get an upset tummy

Last edited:
thanks

ive owned dogs and allways used to change over food slowley, first week 25 % new food, 2nd week 50% , 3rd week 75% , i guess its the same of rabbits ( i will google it now ;))

If they are already having issues with excess ceacals I would avoid Excel like the plague, especially the junior/dwarf mix.

This is because excess ceacals can be caused by a diet too high in protein (hence too many pellets) and the Junior/Dwarf mix is a higher protein formula as its aimed at promoting growth.

IMO Science Selective would be a better option.

Rabbits need a high fibre diet, you cannot feed too much hay. Whilst Excel is a good food, I would recommend going for a pellet which is even higher in fibre due tothe fact you already has potential problems with it diet. I would suggest a food which is higher than Excel in fibre such as Science Selective which is 19% fibre or Bunny Basics T which is about 25% fibre or even Allan and Page pellets. Unfortunately the last 2 can be a little tricky to obtain so you may find feeding SS a better option.

update

about 30 hours on, they have had a fair bit more hay

only 3 of the long poo's in the cage in that time ( we cleaned them out last night )

so on the right road :)

thanks for all the advice folks
cheers
matt

Back