• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who uses panacur as a preventative wormer?

Do you regularly use pancur as a preventative wormer

• Yes, i think it is very important to use a wormer as a preventative measure

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No, i would only use panacur if i suspected EC?

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • What on earth is pancur and ec anyway?

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Ive just read Sooz22's post in rabbit care about treating rabbits with pancur as a preventative measure against EC. I just wondered if anyone else did this, and if they thought it was a good idea. I am wondering if i should have done this. ??

If you do use panacur as a wormer, how often do you use it? I had to use 28 day course of pancur on all four buns last year after i found what i thought was worms around the benjamins bum.

I worm all new intakes with a 9 day course of Panacur. After that I only use Panacur in suspected 'active EC' cases and for any 'in contact' Buns.

Janex

I do a 28 day course of every bunny when they arrive and then repeat 9-12 months later if they are still here.

I definately, definately panacur before being neutered

i put yes, but i sent an email to my vet about it months ago and he gave the impression that house rabbits with no contact with other rabbits are unlikely to get EC unless they already carry it.. so the panacur doesnt really do anything unless they get the symptoms...

i only do it for my own piece of mind really just like worming my dog.. just incase :D

I give my lot 9 days every 6 months due to the constant in and out going bunnies who may be carriers. 4 are currently on 6 weeks due to two showing possible EC symptoms.

If I had just my rabbits they would be wormed annually in spring at prior to being in the vicinity of any new rabbits e.g. Boarding, bonding or adding new rabbits to the household.

I think the important thing to rememeber is kits can becomes EC positive via the placenta if they have an EC positive mother so assuming that because your rabbit lives in the house or never see's another rabbit they must be safe is a dangerous thought process.

Last edited:
I do a 28 day course of every bunny when they arrive and then repeat 9-12 months later if they are still here.

I definately, definately panacur before being neutered

That sounds incredibly sensible to me. Especially given the experience of my 2 (both developing active EC just after being neutered). It came out in one just after neutering, and then in the other about 2 weeks later.

If I ever have bunnies again, I will definitely routinely Panacur. In fact, it might even be the one thing that persuades me into having bunnies again!

Mine had 6 weeks of Panacur after I fostered an EC positive bun. I am intending on doing an annual 9 day course & my buns no longer have any contact with anyone else's buns:D

That sounds incredibly sensible to me. Especially given the experience of my 2 (both developing active EC just after being neutered). It came out in one just after neutering, and then in the other about 2 weeks later.

If I ever have bunnies again, I will definitely routinely Panacur. In fact, it might even be the one thing that persuades me into having bunnies again!

My foster showed symptoms only after his neuter

I think the important thing to remmeber is kits can becomes EC positive via the placenta if they have an EC positive mother so assuming that because your rabbit lives in the house or never see's another rabbit they must be safe is a dangerous thought process.

i didnt say i think my buns are safe, i said my vet said if they have it hidden away inside their bodies whether i do the 9 day preventative course or not will not actually make any difference until symptoms present and then a longer course is needed anyway... the only way to be 100% is blood tests which he actually reccommended i did before introducing alvin and pearl but it had already become too late for that so i took the chance and got pearl anyway.

My foster showed symptoms only after his neuter

Really? I didn't know that. Stands to reason though, doesn't it? All that stress on the body. :( I wish I could go back in time with my bunnies - if it had been diagnosed at the time Clover would probably still be with me now, and Dusty wouldn't be on borrowed time. :cry:

i didnt say i think my buns are safe, i said my vet said if they have it hidden away inside their bodies whether i do the 9 day preventative course or not will not actually make any difference until symptoms present and then a longer course is needed anyway... the only way to be 100% is blood tests which he actually reccommended i did before introducing alvin and pearl but it had already become too late for that so i took the chance and got pearl anyway.

But if one of them is a carrier and the other isn't then the 9 days is aimed at protecting those that do not carry the parasite from those that do, not curing the one that does.

In an ideal world all rabbits would under go a 6 week course before being sold.

I have never used any wormer or similar treatment on my rabbits as a preventative (I personally am concerned about the overuse of chemicals on my rabbits) and have never used panacur.

I would obviously use treatments if required, just not preventative but I can understand why rescues use it on new rabbits.

But if one of them is a carrier and the other isn't then the 9 days is aimed at protecting those that do not carry the parasite from those that do, not curing the one that does.

In an ideal world all rabbits would under go a 6 week course before being sold.

how will a 6 monthly panacur prevention treatment or 9 days protect the one who isnt a carrier if the carrier dosent have symptoms?

glad im not a vet id hate to try and understand it :shock::shock:

both alvin and pearl have had the 9 day treatment. that doesnt stop them being a carrier tho does it? they can still get EC even if i treat every 6 months or thats the way i understand it...:oops:

Really? I didn't know that. Stands to reason though, doesn't it? All that stress on the body. :( I wish I could go back in time with my bunnies - if it had been diagnosed at the time Clover would probably still be with me now, and Dusty wouldn't be on borrowed time. :cry:

I feel the same about Bob, he developed EC a couple of days after being neutered, that's why I do them all whne they come in irrespective of age

Ok so, should i panacur my four then? I dont fully understand the purpose of a 9-day course of panacur - what does this do? also what does the 28 day course do that the 9 day course doesnt?!

Donna it all depends on the lifecycle of the spores as to when they are shedding, a lot of it is pot luck Im afraid. IMO the rabbits who are asymptomatic carriers have enough antibodies to fight off the protozoa themselves unless there is added strain on the immune system, this is why I believe they are often coming out with symptoms after neutering or other illnesses.

I believe the Panacur can help boost their natural defenses by lowering the number of active spores they have to fight off....imagine that the Panacur helps to control the EC 'population' to keep it at a self-manageable level.

You may also be interested to know, on the chemical front, that Panacur has safely been given to 3 DAY OLD KITS by the manufacturers and also that you are more likely to get a reaction to a vaccine than to Panacur in a rabbit as the most common side effect in dogs and cats is vomiting....which rabbits are incapable of.

I dont know if this helps anyone: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115473&highlight=cuniculi post 4 is on the lifecycle.

Last edited:
I panacur all my new intakes and my own buns too, they have a nine day course, better to be safe than sorry I say:D

I panacur all my new intakes and my own buns too, they have a nine day course, better to be safe than sorry I say:D

Exactly. I know Im like a dog with a bone over this and Im sure you are all getting :censored: off:censored: with me but getting people to Panacur regularly has been my personal mission for over a year now....I will NEVER forget what that horribly little parasite did to Harley and if I can stop it happening to any bun else it has to be worth a try.

Back