• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dewlap concern...

norrielian

Mama Doe
Wondering if anyone can help. I rescued Connie recently and despite her not being overweight, she does appear to have a very large dewlap. I've noticed her grooming it a lot since we got her and on inspection, the skin in the flap seems very wet and quite red. There is no infection yet and I'm keeping a very close eye on it but does anyone have any experience on this or advice? I rubbed some vasaline on the skin last night so will see how that helps, if not, obviously I'll pop her to the vets.

Was just wondering if this will be a permanent issue with her having a large dewlap and am concerned about flies in summer etc...

Thanks
Lian

From the photo in your sig. it doesn't look like her dewlap is overly large...so I would tend to think either dental trouble (therefore dribbling) or even possibly a fungal infection.

Amy

From the photo in your sig. it doesn't look like her dewlap is overly large...so I would tend to think either dental trouble (therefore dribbling) or even possibly a fungal infection.

Amy

Hi Amy

It doesn't appear to be dental, had her checked out when I got her. Her dewlap is definiately very large in comparison to her body weight and size and she is constantly grooming it! The vet commented on the size but wasn't concerned as her overall weight was perfect.
Will try to find another pic to show you.

It is large enough that when she grooms herself, it gets in the way.
Thanks
Lian

Last edited:
sweetie.jpg

Bunseating2.jpg

I've had 2 girlies with extremely large dewlaps, and neither had problems because of it (they tend to 'throw' the dewlap over to one side to clean underneath :lol: )... so personally I'd be inclined to think it's a medical problem.

I've had 2 girlies with extremely large dewlaps, and neither had problems because of it (they tend to 'throw' the dewlap over to one side to clean underneath :lol: )... so personally I'd be inclined to think it's a medical problem.

Thanks Amy, will get her to the vets ASAP.

Lian x

Just had a thought...

Do you use a water bowl or bottle? If she's dipping her dewlap in a bowl whenever she drinks, then that could cause problems.

Just had a thought...

Do you use a water bowl or bottle? If she's dipping her dewlap in a bowl whenever she drinks, then that could cause problems.

A bottle so can't be that! If I were to guess from observing her I'd say she was overgrooming in the crease which is making her skin sore.

Bunnies eh, it is neverending! I've never had so many problems with any other pets before from horses, dogs, cats, hamsters etc...

I've known of a doe with a large dewlap who had to be checked daily as crease became sore..
like a daily bum check you will need to look at this daily in summer..sometimes they can get gunky if they are unable to clean the area and owner doesn't help them.
Make sure if you clean crease.that you dry it thoroughly..dampness will only increase problem
If it is really sore then a trip to vets would be good idea.
Hope she's ok

I've known of a doe with a large dewlap who had to be checked daily as crease became sore..
like a daily bum check you will need to look at this daily in summer..sometimes they can get gunky if they are unable to clean the area and owner doesn't help them.
Make sure if you clean crease.that you dry it thoroughly..dampness will only increase problem
If it is really sore then a trip to vets would be good idea.
Hope she's ok

thanks Jill

Don't worry, I'll keep a close eye on Connie. It is no hassle doing a daily dewlap check along with bums. I make sure I pick her up and check her every day anyway as she doesn't like being picked up so want her to get used to it as a routine.

I guess because she can't clean it properly that maybe it has become slightly infected which is making it itch, therefore she is licking her dewlap all the time to try and reach it. Will vaseline help after cleaning?

If it is itching a very small amount of sudacrem might be better..but if it still looks sore in a couple of days a trip to vet is advisable

Back