• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I have read a lot about Ec on this forum?

kas1uk

Young Bun
I have read a lot about EC on this forum and i was just wondering what it was and what symptons to look out for ?

Thats kind of like asking 'How long is a piece of string'.

Try searching Encephalitozoon Cuniculi and then Panacur

This is what the RWA wrote in the winter 04 magazine about EC:) It is spread through urine spores:) There may be more upto date signs of possible EC as I know hind paralysis/weakness can also be a clinical sign of EC too but might not necessarily be EC. A test is always worth having if your worried but have the test done before treatment starts which is usually straight away if EC is suspected:)

Clinical signs are varied but can include any of the following

Head tilt
Tremors
Urinary incontinence and uring scald
Hind limb weakness
Kidney dysfunction
Retarded growth
Cataracts and other eye problems
Tremors/seizures
Collapse/death

Control measures

Test and isolate all positive animals. Some vets advocate treatment of in contact bunnis with fenbedazole for 4 weeks
Improve hygience to reduce risk of spread of infection
Raise food dishes from the floor so they cant be contaminated via urine
Use water bottles rather than bowls to avoid accidental contamination
Don’t use tiered hutches to prevent contamination from above.

I also know that weight loss, shaking their head and star gazing (when your rabbit seems in a trance starring at thin air) can all be signs of EC too.

Also:
recurrent stasis
Excessive drinking & Urination
Blindness
Renal Failure

More symptoms are being added to this list all the time and the symptoms can appear in any number and any combination.

thanks for all the info just want to be prepared to recognise symptons if (hopefully wont)occur.

Have you wormed your rabbits? Its should be done at least annually as a preentative against EC.

Have you wormed your rabbits? Its should be done at least annually as a preentative against EC.

Thanks for letting me know i will get that done now that I know. Can you buy the meds in the petshop or do u have to go to the vet?

There is a thread in rabbit chat about Panacur, there are some websites suggested on it. :)

Back