• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xennex drops... please help me out here..Jane...Sooz?

JayUK

Mama Doe
:wave: I hope you can help with my unease and concern.
We took Berts for VHD 2 weeks ago. The day before the jab, a small patch appeared on his back, where the fur wasen't missing, it was 1/2 the length it normally is, about 5mm round.

The vet gave the jab, and then had a look at this patch. She's brilliant with him, and I have complete confidence in her. She said she could feel a small raised patch on the skin, barely noticeable, asked if he'd been attacked or bitten, took him off & clipped it.She then said it may have been caught on something, keep an eye on it and we'll assess it when he comes for Myxi jab in 2 weeks.

She wasen't there yesterday, a new guy saw him. He seemed a bit scrared of handling him, so we held him, got the jab and then I mentioned that this thing was to be looked at, that it hadn't got any bigger or changed in any way. He had a feel, looked really blankly and said "well...........I dunno..............."
Paul looked at me a bit worried, the vet shrugged his shoulders, had another feel, then said "You know, this sort if raised bit can happen through parasites, but you'd normally see other skin problems, so it's unlikely to be that ..................................."
All these long pauses were getting a bit wierd.
Then he said "I'll treat him for parasites, and if it isn't that, then we'll know it isn't that.....................I wouldn't worry about it after that..........................I'll give you a product, read the label and it will tell you what to do......................"

I asked if it was drops or cream, or spray, he replied "it's all on the label.............."

If i didn't hope better, I'd have thought he was stoned. We went to reception and they gave us 'Xennex, Ultra spot on' 6 week course, drops every 2 weeks.

I really don't want to give unecessary chemicals to Bertie, I'm very certain of that. This raised patch is about 2mm round and 0.5mm raised.

I would appreciate any imput and information about the problem and this treatment, to help me decide what to do . I can't believe that I'm sat here with a treatment prescribed by my vet, and not giving it to him, because I don't trust the vet.........how mad is that?
The impression he gave was that that he didn't know much about buns, wasn't that interested, and wanted to sell me something for the sake of it.
I don't have much dealings with them, as Berts is blessed with very good health, and they have been nothing but brilliant with him before, is it Ok to ask for a second opionion, as i thought that may be an option, but then I don't want to stress him out with an unecessary journey.

I'll ask for appointments with the lady vet in future, so we won't have this again.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Also note the myxi vacc has to be given in a special way - 10% into the skin and the rest into the muscle - I doubt a vet that's ignorant about bunny medicine will know this (they do about 2 weeks training in rabbits in their entire time at vet college)

Also note (yeah you've got me on one of my fav rants now) If you complain to the practise about this vet's lack of knowledge, they will make him (I hope!) go on a small animals course to update his skills - all the vets at my practise have had to do this and even so I'd only trust one of them with my animals. there are annual conferences in small animal care - you can ask any vet if they've attended them (same as you'd ask anyone if they were qualified to do a job you're paying them to do) - I asked all mine so don't be shy - your bunnies life depends on it. If you don't complain can you imagine the advice he might give to the next bunny owner? :?

Also note (yeah you've got me on one of my fav rants now) If you complain to the practise about this vet's lack of knowledge, they will make him (I hope!) go on a small animals course to update his skills - all the vets at my practise have had to do this and even so I'd only trust one of them with my animals. there are annual conferences in small animal care - you can ask any vet if they've attended them (same as you'd ask anyone if they were qualified to do a job you're paying them to do) - I asked all mine so don't be shy - your bunnies life depends on it. If you don't complain can you imagine the advice he might give to the next bunny owner? :?

Thanks Elve, that's really helpful, I will discss this with Paul :thumb:

Could it be ringworm or a fungal infection? Have you or your partner noticed any circular slightly flakey patch on your arms?

How long has it been on Bertie? Is there any flakey debris in his fur?

Could it be ringworm or a fungal infection? Have you or your partner noticed any circular slightly flakey patch on your arms?

How long has it been on Bertie? Is there any flakey debris in his fur?

Thanks, We don't have anything on our arms, and Berties coat is very healthy.
He's has this raised bump for 2 weeks that we know of, may have been longer, but we didn't feel it until this little patch of fur halved in size.

The bump hasen't changed at all, and it's barely noticeable.

I think if your really concerned or another one appears have a skin scraping taken for analysis, it dosn't sound like anything I have ever seen before.

Could it be from his Myxi jab? Cassius developed a circular bald patch 5 days after his injection.

I'm not overly concerned about the lump, I'm more concened about giving Bertie these drops, when neither me nor the vet think that's it's a parasite.
Thanks though :)
ETA , it happened the day before eother of the jabs, so not that either.

Last edited:
Bertie was neutered not long ago wasnt he :?
If so he will have had a shot of Baytril after the op'. Some Buns, especially Rexes :rolleyes: get a local skin reaction to a Baytril injection which can result in either the skin breaking down then scabbing over ( Baytril Burn) or cellulitis ( inflammation of the connective tissue under the skin- a 'lump' )

Personally I would not use the Xennex

Janex :)

Thanks Jane but he was neautered a year ago, so not that. I'm goin to return the drops, moitor the thing on his back and take him to another vet if it changes or worsens.
Thanks girlz :)

please dont use this particular brand of the drops xenex caused the nastiest reaction to chelsea and she had a giant burnt patch accross her skin like someone had poured boiling water pver her and it spread to the majority of her neck and back that was only 2 drops. poor thing it set her recovery from myxi back no end and took several months to fully heal(and yes we tried to wash it off straight away but it obviously hurt her very much i will never recomend xenex to any rabbit owner tho i hear that xeno is a different brand totally and quite good sadly we are not isolated in this reaction many others had one with their buns too.

please dont use this particular brand of the drops xenex caused the nastiest reaction to chelsea and she had a giant burnt patch accross her skin like someone had poured boiling water pver her and it spread to the majority of her neck and back that was only 2 drops. poor thing it set her recovery from myxi back no end and took several months to fully heal(and yes we tried to wash it off straight away but it obviously hurt her very much i will never recomend xenex to any rabbit owner tho i hear that xeno is a different brand totally and quite good sadly we are not isolated in this reaction many others had one with their buns too.

I really apprecriate that, thank-you. I'm going to take them back today, & possibly take it further.

Last edited:
Back