• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should CoSmo be picked up??? **Help**

CoSmo

New Kit
Morning guys,

Last night i took out 9 week old CoSmo and put him in a playpen.
Transfer to the playpen was in his chewable tube due to me not quite knowing how to pick him up properly.

I'm just wondering, at 9 weeks old- should i be picking him up at all?
He has been itching himself from time to time, but the thing that scares me is that he's reacting like something's crawling on him.

I went to Pets at Home and bought a flea and bug repelant which required me to spray and comb through his fur- Cosmo being only 9 weeks- this was a challenge!

I sat in the playpen itself, and sprayed the comb, and gently combed it through whenever he brushed by.

Sorry for the essay- but essentially, my question is: Am i allowed to pick him up at 9 weeks old, if so, what's the best way without scaring him?
I spend lots of time stroking him gently which relaxes him, but he won't allow me to pick him up, does anyone know why?

rabbits generally hate being picked up but you can teach them to tolerate it. the younger the better i think. you have to be confident because they can be so wriggly. there are some good videos on youtube that show you how to hold a rabbit. it's all about making them feel secure, holding then close, supporting their bum. i was useless the first couple of weeks, i didn't do it confidently but i soon learnt and bun is fine with being picked up.

i'd start by just picking him up twice a day - just a literal up and down then plenty of praise and maybe a pellet or two as reward.

good luck!

Thanks, that's great!

Thank you for your reply, it was both informative and calmed down a little- i just wasn't sure whether he was supposed to react that way.

I just don't want to stress him out really.
He's my Cosmo, just want the very best quality of life i can give him.

Thanks again.

yes do pick him up, the more he is handles at a young age the more likely he is to tolerate it when older.

If he's happy to approach you and have strokes he trusts you so start trying to pick him up.

Make sure you are well wrapped up because clawas can scratch and you don't want to srop him if he kicks out.

To pick him up try and angle yourself behind him, kneeling on the ground. Stroke him to reasure.

Slip your left hand under his tum and right hand under his bum and scoop him towards you chest. Hold for about half a minute then release and give lots of treats and praise. You might even feed him whilst he's being held, I've two buns that will eat in my arms, the other wont.

Gradually build up the time you hold him and the height. Don't carry him around until you are very confident. If he tries to kick out release quickly but safely.

You can try a couple of different ways of holding him. One of mine I hold like a baby, legs in the air. The others I will also hold legs to chest. Rosie who is tiny sits on my arms. I have also heard some people tucking their bunnys head under an arm, which may help them feel secure.

Back