• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which panacur?

elve

Banned
I know the liquid is cheaper - but which one? I can't figure out all the different concentrations and doses :(

i got the paste and it cost me about a tenner for 3 tubes. We had to use a lot as Lola is a big girl and the dose it measured on body weight. I have heard that the paste tastes nicer than the liquid but the liqud is markedly cheaper.

Lola took the paste hidden in a spring green right up to the day i took her to Sooz...then she turned into a little madam and refused it. Sooz had a right job on her hands getting it down her...poor Sooz:oops:

My vet gave me :
Panacur Small Animal 10% suspension. The bottle holds 100 ml and tim has 0.3 once a day(Tim weighs 1.8 kg or threabouts. Hope that helps, Elve

Its the 10% oral solution and the dose rate is 0.2ml per kg body weight :)

So a 2.5kg rabbit would be on 0.5ml daily.

thanks everyone :wave: I'm wondering if I should treat them all as they will all have caught it if Tia had it as they shared the patio with her - the rabbit welfare article says vets are divided on whether or not asymptomatic rabbits should be treated....

From what I have read, I understood that you should treat them all regularly anyway, but I am new to buns. I am just going to start treating mine with panacur for the first time.

From what I have read, I understood that you should treat them all regularly anyway, but I am new to buns. I am just going to start treating mine with panacur for the first time.

yeah I asked my vet about this years ago and she said there was no point as rabbits rarely catch worms, so should only be treated if they show symptoms - I then mentioned e-c prevention and she said the dose for worming was too low to prevent e-c, so there was no point in bothering with that either...now I'm slightly confused as the rabbit wormer paste says it treats e-c :? she's a very good small animal vet so I have no idea what's true but I guess there's no harm in treating Maa at the moment - if I can get her to take the medicine that is :?

the website I'm looking at has 10% solution for cats and dogs - not small animals (or is it the same?)

yeah I asked my vet about this years ago and she said there was no point as rabbits rarely catch worms, so should only be treated if they show symptoms - I then mentioned e-c prevention and she said the dose for worming was too low to prevent e-c, so there was no point in bothering with that either...now I'm slightly confused as the rabbit wormer paste says it treats e-c :? she's a very good small animal vet so I have no idea what's true but I guess there's no harm in treating Maa at the moment - if I can get her to take the medicine that is :?

the website I'm looking at has 10% solution for cats and dogs - not small animals (or is it the same?)

i find the whole thing very confusing!! 9 days, 28 days, 4 weeks?! i can't figure it out.

i did read that more than half of rabbits are born with worms because of the mothers (i suppose like cats), although you may not know for months.

am i right in thinking it's something about worm infestations that causes EC?

I meant to ask my vet about that, maybe the paste is slightly different?

If its any help my bottle from the vet says Panacur for cats and dogs, but like I said I'm not expert so wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon :)

I meant to ask my vet about that, maybe the paste is slightly different?

If its any help my bottle from the vet says Panacur for cats and dogs, but like I said I'm not expert so wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon :)

oh right that helps :D fenbendazole (the active ingredient in panacur) isn't licensed for use with rabbits, so that would explain it maybe?

i find the whole thing very confusing!! 9 days, 28 days, 4 weeks?! i can't figure it out.

i did read that more than half of rabbits are born with worms because of the mothers (i suppose like cats), although you may not know for months.

am i right in thinking it's something about worm infestations that causes EC?

e-c is a little parasite like an amoeba - it's spread by spores in the rabbit's urine, which other rabbits eat if they eat off the floor. It usually attacks the kidneys and the brain, and because of this it causes a wide range of often very vague symptoms, possibly recurring stasis too if the lesions are in the stomach - that's debatable. According to what I've read, the majority of rabbits test posistive for it in a blood test, but most rabbits don't show any symptoms.

the treatment for worms is 9 days - the treatment for e-c is 4 weeks (which is 28 days) - although some vets say 6 weeks for e-c - it's all a bit experimental still :? Even if you treat a rabbit and kill the parasite, you can't undo the brain and kidney damage they've already sustained :(

You just use less of the paste to the 10% liquid, that's all. Sooz has already listed the dosage for the 10% liquid. It's a 6 week course whatever you use.

oh right that helps :D fenbendazole (the active ingredient in panacur) isn't licensed for use with rabbits, so that would explain it maybe?

That's probably it then. I forgot most things aren't licensed for rabbits and guinea pigs :roll:

You just use less of the paste to the 10% liquid, that's all. Sooz has already listed the dosage for the 10% liquid. It's a 6 week course whatever you use.

yeah I told someone in care the other week it was a 6 week course but I got drowned out by everyone else chanting 4 weeks - so I gave up :rolleyes:

e-c is a little parasite like an amoeba - it's spread by spores in the rabbit's urine, which other rabbits eat if they eat off the floor. It usually attacks the kidneys and the brain, and because of this it causes a wide range of often very vague symptoms, possibly recurring stasis too if the lesions are in the stomach - that's debatable. According to what I've read, the majority of rabbits test posistive for it in a blood test, but most rabbits don't show any symptoms.

the treatment for worms is 9 days - the treatment for e-c is 4 weeks (which is 28 days) - although some vets say 6 weeks for e-c - it's all a bit experimental still :? Even if you treat a rabbit and kill the parasite, you can't undo the brain and kidney damage they've already sustained :(

my brain hurts!! so the e-c parasite is different to the worm parasite but are treated/prevented with the same medicine?

ooh, also, while i'm on the subject, i didn't use the whole tube recently, will this keep for 3 months or am i better binning it/giving it to someone else? (i put the paste into veg so it hasn't been in his mouth)

I've never been a supporter of routine worming, but having seen the devastating results EC had on Nia I'll be erring on the side of caution from now.

Back