• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can my rabbit catch disease from hutch?

kathizzy

New Kit
Hi there,i have a rabbit but his hutch is very small, WE have just found a really good hutch with run,its really good quality wood,but we dont know who had it before,and my daughter seems to think they rabbits that was in the hutch died of mixi. Can my rabbit catch this from a hutch? I will thouroughly clean it first. My bunny has still not had his vacine,due to lack of funds,but hoping to get him done real soon. Also what age do you get them spade,as he's a male an always peeing round the house. Many thanks/ :)

No myxi is generally spread between biting insects and very rarely contact with infected discharge from a rabbit.

I would suggest you use strong disinfectant on the hutch and then leave it to dry thoroughly before putting your bun in. That should take care of any bugs :)

Males can be neutered as soon as their testicles descend - usually about 4 months old.

Tamsin

I'd suggest you use Virkon to clean it with - It claims to be good against pasteurella and VHD. But it's not cheap. If you just need enough to clean 1 hutch I could send you some for free.

Once you have disinfected, should you rinse the hutch really well because of fumes etc.?

I would think about getting him vaccinated for myxi as it would be awful, for the sake of £20, if he got it. Lots of mosquitos around my garden because of all the wet weather and they cause myxi if they bite the bunny.

Am I right is saying coccidiosis as well?

After thoroughly disinfecting, rinsing and drying, I would be inclined to paint it inside and out as well with a waterproof based rabbit safe paint to be on the safe side:)

Back