• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Drinks?

shel20

Alpha Buck
What drinks other than water can buns have..heard of ppl giving fruit squash?
any ideas of yummy drinks i can give alfie n bobs?

I would avoid giving fruit squash or any sweet drinks to your buns because it will rot their teeth, and the high sugar content could also cause stomach problems.

I would think (as rabbits are not used to any other drink but water - unlike humans!;)) that they don't mind at all having "yummy water" on a daily basis...

TP:)

Probably wouldnt add anything to their water, as other have said. I think people add some ribena to baytril to mask the sour taste, but even then its only a little bit.

If you want to give them a treat you could try a nice chunk of apple occasionally (mine get apple once a week as a treat) or a chunk of carrot, banana or strawberry! All of which go down well! :D

Ps I know some people add a small splash of boiling hot water to the water in a bottle or dish and some buns like that.... a bit like a cup of tea!

I'd never give a bun any drink other than water.

I don't really like giving pellets and prefer to keeps things as they would be in the wild.

I think its really easy to humanise buns sometimes.

ok ill just stick with water and fruity treats! i give them some dried apple each morn... (p@h)about a tea spoon, which they love, never thought of strawberries, they have carrots every other day..is that too often?
I also give them herbs everyday, a few sprigs, is that ok too?
and fresh spring greens at night

this is my feeding routine..what do u think?

morn: dried apple (teaspoon) @ pellets sprinkled with herbs mix (naturals range p@h)

hay through out day

tea: fresh herbs..mint/parsley/chives, from my hands as soon as i get in! they run to me its funny!, some fresh greens (cabbage/kale and a few more pellets

carrots every few days and some milk drops before bed 2/3 (as they are sweet)

My bunnies would love living with you I tell you that! Mine only get an egg cup full of pellets a day, unlimited hay and then a spring green leaf and celerly as the basic then another veg like parsley, cucumber, brocolli etc evey few days.

As long as they have hay I count everything else as a treat! No matter how much they beg :roll:

ok ill just stick with water and fruity treats! i give them some dried apple each morn... (p@h)about a tea spoon, which they love, never thought of strawberries, they have carrots every other day..is that too often?

morn: dried apple (teaspoon) @ pellets sprinkled with herbs mix (naturals range p@h)

hay through out day

tea: fresh herbs..mint/parsley/chives, from my hands as soon as i get in! they run to me its funny!, some fresh greens (cabbage/kale and a few more pellets

Some rabbits are prone to gut motiity problems, the promblem giving sweet things is that it encourages the bad bacteria in the gut to grow which can result in an increase in gas in the gastro intestinal tract. This is not good for them.

Carrots, strawberries, dried apple and milk drops are all high in sugars. I would consider reducing the amount of high sugar items you feed your rabbits, possibly exchanging some for really nice treats including dried plantain, dandelions, fresh corriander and fresh parsley instead which they will really like and enjoy. These are also good for them and will not affect their guts.

hay through out day

I wouldn't give the milk drops to be honest I prefer to give natural things but then thats just me!
Also I thought Chives were bad?!

ill cut out the milk drops...funny, the things that are bad for them they love most, they climb up my legs when i open the packet! and just give the apple treats once a week...they never eat much hay though thats why im always giving them things!

ill cut out the milk drops...funny, the things that are bad for them they love most, they climb up my legs when i open the packet! and just give the apple treats once a week...they never eat much hay though thats why im always giving them things!

yeah but thats the same for me, I go mad for chocolate pastries but they are bad for me :oops:

Oh and if you reduce the other things then they will be forced to eat the hay :)

the reason why they probably don't eat much hay is because thay are having a lot of choice. Hay is probably quite boring to them if there are all the other yummy options available. If you cut out most of the sugary foods, a few pellets and a bit of veg, you will notice an increase in hay intake :D

ps there are lots of different hay around if you find your buns are pickey, mine love timothy hay :)

Last edited:
well i think mine are now used to being treated like little princes as i got them timothy herbage and they just dont touch it..and if they do eat hay is the cheapo meadow stuff from p@h which i used in their little tray!(they only poop on hay):roll: ill try cutting out all the treats then and just replace them with herbs n veg n stuff.......watch it they will get all grumpy with me now and my next thread will be ...help..my bunnys boxing and nipping me!:lol:

Don't worry, mine literally jump on me and in the fridge if they hear it opening, and molly bless him sqeaks when I am eating an apple and literally jumps to try and eat it. They also act as if they have never been fed when I have visitors.

I have to reassure people they do get fed and that they are just being greedy. :rolleyes:

I keep telling myself 'its for their own good' over and over when their little faces look sad once all the pellets have gone.

:roll:

aw suzy i can imagine..mine are like dogs and lie and put their chins on the floor looking all sad when i wont give them anymore!! and alfie blinks his eys slowly which also makes him look sad.....little monkeys!

I wouldn't give the milk drops to be honest I prefer to give natural things but then thats just me!
Also I thought Chives were bad?!

Yeah i dont know why they sell those things to be honest, and cheese crackers and things, its a bit senseless...do wild bunnies drink cow breastmilk?:roll: methinks not!

I used to give Nigel those P@H apple filled crackers when I first got him but he used to snatch the packet and run away with it, he was really hooked on them! He got really naughty and hyperactive too though so I looked on the packet and realised the first ingredient was sugar! :shock: I tried them and they taste really nice to me too (thats just wrong :roll:) so they stopped. His behaviour got much better!

Why do you want to give your rabbit anything other than plain water? It's what their systems are set up to cope with.

Last edited:
Why do you want to give your rabbit anything other than plain water? It's what their systems are set up to cope with.

It's one of those things whereby the OP was wanting to give variety...I have nothing against this in the slightest providing it's within the realms of what's okay for an animal. Sometimes I feel pet shops and other sources of animal food "play" on the concern of owners that their pet may become bored with what they offer (much as a human could knowing alternatives)...Rabbits are not humans however - I like water, squash, coffee, lager, a bit of vodka (if the time is right) and other beverages as I know them available...Rabbits just like water (I suspect more than they would squash or other alternatives even!) as they know no alternative (don't miss it and don't want it.);)

TP:)

Back