• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patches - moulting or mites

Sandra Q

New Kit
Hi. Last week we got a 12 wk old lionhead from the adoption part of Pets at home. She is brushed daily as she is long haired but I noiced this morning she has a couple of bald patches appearing. Flopsy went to the vets yesterday for the myxomatosis jab. The vet said she looked in pretty good health despite not having any hair on the back of her neck - was told she had lots of knots in fur so they were cut out. Never having had a rabbit before I'm abit stuck for advice. Are the bald patches due to moulting, mites, stress or brushing?

Hiya :wave:

If you took her to the vets yesterday they should of probably accounted for mites I would of thought? If they had a good look and found nothing then its unlikely to be mites.

Were the knots cut out from her neck where the bald patches were? Was the bald patch there yesterday as some bunnies can have a slight reaction to their jabs causing hair loss.

Someone else should be here shortly to give you more advice :D

Bald patches - moulting or mites

Thanks for such a quick reply. Vet said it didn't look like mites but if bald patches persisted to take her back. The bald patch on back of Flopsy's neck was there when we got her though we didn't notice them til later in the day. The patches I found this morning are 1 on her lower back and on 1 her side .

We have a long haired lop (in Avatar) When he was half way through his moult, he got a bald patch on his neck and on his back. Skin was all pink and healthy and now he is covered in fluffy hair again!

So she may well be in her moult.

My lionheads are all moulting at the moment and all three have bald patches on the back of their necks. I think as long as the skin looks healthy it's quite normal. The fur always seems to grow back again.

:wave: Thanks for your replies. Flopsy's skin looks healthy enough where she has bald patches. When I brushed her today not alot of hair came out so maybe she is moulting or just finishing. As she's our first bunny I didn't want her to be ill or anything . Thanks for putting my mind at rest.:)

:wave:

We were worried about Bunnie cos she kept getting little bald patches by ear and back of head but fur grew back:) and vet checked said not mites:)

Anyway got my Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown for my birthday, opened it up and the first thing I read was..

Patchy Hair loss

Some breeds of rabbit with fluffy coats, notably Dwarf lops and minilops, develop hairless patches of skin during moulting. The alopecic areas often cause concern to owners. The bald skin is not inflammed. Regrowth of hair is rapid. Dense fur starts to grow at the centre of the lesion within 7 - 10 days and takes place simultaneously with hair loss at the periphery of the lesion. This is a self-limiting physiological process.

Exactly what happens with Bunnies! This book is great!:D:D

Back