• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby buns

My baby buns that are now 7 days old !

They were totally unexpected and as Ive never had them at this young age im a bit unsure of what they should be like or what they should be doing!

Usually i take the bunnies that others dont want or are unable to keep.

There is 6 in total, they seem to be very active in the nest that mum bunny has made - on checking them today while mum bun was off running around, there seems to be alot of wee on them and around them. Is this the babies or the mummy

can anyone help me ?

My baby buns that are now 7 days old !

They were totally unexpected and as Ive never had them at this young age im a bit unsure of what they should be like or what they should be doing!

Usually i take the bunnies that others dont want or are unable to keep.

There is 6 in total, they seem to be very active in the nest that mum bunny has made - on checking them today while mum bun was off running around, there seems to be alot of wee on them and around them. Is this the babies or the mummy

can anyone help me ?

Hello :0)

I had some surprise baby buns at Christmastime, you really don't need to do anything other than be sure that Mum is feeding them - you can check that by picking one up and laying it flat on your hand, with the baby on its back, and if he has a sticky out tummy, then it's a pretty safe bet that Mum is caring for them.

Mum doesn't seem to pay much attention to them outside feeding times, the odd poke of the nose in the nest now and again, so don't think that she's not interested.

The babies should start to grow a layer of very fine, downy hair now and after about 10 days, they'll start to open their eyes, but a couple of my babies didn't open them until they were 14 days old.

Once the eyes are open, they'll start to walk about and investigate their surroundings - which is like watching a bunch of drunk rabbits :lol:

I had a lot of wee surrounding my babies too and I couldn't clean them out properly for 2 weeks. I must confess that after 1 week, I worked around the nest and cleaned out the rest of her hutch, and after 2 weeks, I lifted the nest carefully and put it in a box, cleaned the hutch properly and put the nest back to the same position - mum was absolutely fine with me doing both of those things.

I started re-homing the babies after 10 weeks, but I believe as soon as 8 weeks is fine.

Hope you're enjoying them :0)

Back