• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to syringe meds?!

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
I've been on holiday for a week and when I got back my mum told me Meggie had been half sneezing for a day previous, I took her to the vets and came back with metacam and septrin paediatric susp** (as read on label, vet said to try this instead of Baytril has a gorgeous banana smell).
Now Meggie won't take the metacam on food so I've been *trying* to syringe both, when you put the syringe near her mouth she goes wild, panics and tries to bite, scratch and just get away, its taking me and my mum to get it in her and then some always misses.
I'm scared of holding her too tightly but if I hold her any looser then she's gone! :?

Is there a best way of holding her? She's managed some great scratches down my arm and has sunk her teeth into my index finger :cry:
The sneezing is getting better but I think we've got at least another week of this and my parents go away in a week so I'll have to do it on my own :shock:
I don't want to stress her out but thats exactly what we're doing :(

Please help!

Piper did NOT want to take her Baytril last night it was a real struggle. Could you try wrapping her in a towel so at least she can't struggle too much.

Piper ended up with most of it on her face last night but at least she had it once she'd cleaned it all off! :roll:

I wouldn't worry about holding her too tightly - sometimes tightly is added security for the bun and they relax more - sometimes not - depends on the bunny. A towel is a good idea as previously mentioned. I tend to trap bunny under my arm and hold the head with the arm thats doing the trapping. Then other hand tries to find the mouth :? Having said that some of our rabbits are big and I find this works best for me if I am on my own.

If syringe feeding really is impossible then maybe ask your vet if they can show you how to inject - less stressful for you and Meggie and over in seconds. It does depend on the meds you have been given though. If she is a single bunny you can just put it on a small amount of food at her usual feeding time - then add more food once she has eaten the medicated lot. Ours will all take baytril on a small chunk of bread if that helps.

Maria x

Thank you for your responses. :D

She lives with Dusty so can't leave food in the hutch and if you take him away then she is suspicious and won't eat what I'm putting in, she is my gumtree bun and used to go wild when you picked her up, she's used to this now and sits quietly while you hold her but freaks about the syringe near her mouth.
Obviously I don't wrap her well enough as she can get out of a towel!!! :roll:

Think I'll try again with the towel, we're back at the vets saturday so if no better then will ask about injecting the meds.

If you're anywhere near Wilford/ W. Bridgford/ Clifton/ Meadows area of Nottingham...I could pop over and help with her meds if needed. :wave:

Amy

Inky hates all medication except Metacam (Smokey is not a fan but more tolerant of being held).

I give him Metacam on a bit of dried, organic apricot and he just munches it. However, Baytil is a different story. After being bitten (on thigh, arm and bum), scratched and kicked, I now squirt the dose onto his front legs, he is very into cleaning and immediatly licks it off.

Back