• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Nueter

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
I'm just after a bit of advice. My bunny is going in for nuetering tomorrow and i will be internetless until tuesday so i'm asking the silly questions in advance.
He is normally an outdoor bun, so he has an overnight pen set up in the dining room (very quiet in there) have turned the heating off so he doesn't get too warn, have hot water bottles, snugglesafe and towels, all his favorite veg small bowl for water etc.
But this is assuming he will eat. What things should i have on stand by if he decides he isn't going to eat anything? I have read oats and blackberry baby food mushed up with his pellets. Is there anything else? Do i need syringes? Can i get them from the vets? Is there anything i've missed? Don't mean to sound panicy but the only pet i have ever had operated on was my dog when she was spayed but that was 12 years ago and i was only 10. I jsut don't want soemthing to go wrong and me not have a clue what to do. :lol::oops::lol:

I'm just after a bit of advice. My bunny is going in for nuetering tomorrow and i will be internetless until tuesday so i'm asking the silly questions in advance.
He is normally an outdoor bun, so he has an overnight pen set up in the dining room (very quiet in there) have turned the heating off so he doesn't get too warn, have hot water bottles, snugglesafe and towels, all his favorite veg small bowl for water etc.
But this is assuming he will eat. What things should i have on stand by if he decides he isn't going to eat anything? I have read oats and blackberry baby food mushed up with his pellets. Is there anything else? Do i need syringes? Can i get them from the vets? Is there anything i've missed? Don't mean to sound panicy but the only pet i have ever had operated on was my dog when she was spayed but that was 12 years ago and i was only 10. I jsut don't want soemthing to go wrong and me not have a clue what to do. :lol::oops::lol:

My rabbit Todd is in today to get neutered and I would like to know this information as well thanks in advance

Crickey sounds like your really prepared for everything.

My bun's neuter was a scary time too but he was fine after a day. I set up an indoor cage for him newspaper bottomed and towels (washed in dettol) for him to lay on. Some nice hay, bowl of water and a couple of pellets.

The vets told us he had already eaten so they weren't worried. When he cameback he was very quiet and crashed out for a few hours before eating hay. In the evening we let him out round the living room but he became aggresive so I gently ushered him back into the cage and we left all night just keeping an eye on him. In the morning he was totally his old self and he went back out to his hutch. His hutch is carpeted though which I think is best as nothing like straw could prod him. I checked the wound everyday and he healed really nicely.

Good luck with it.
xx

Back