• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CoSmo's Food...:)

CoSmo

New Kit
I got my young Dutch Bunny Cosmo last week.
He's 8 weeks old, and the most curious bunny i ever encountered.
I want to definently make sure he has the best and so, that leeds onto my next question:

How often should i feed him?
I'm confused :shock:because i've read that most owners give their rabbits pellets at certain times during the day and in the evening + hay.

I was told to give Cosmo a handful of hay and a handful of pellets a day,
is this enough? Because i don't want to get it wrong...:roll:

Thanks in advance for any replies you post, as i am a very new rabbit owner.:)

Cosmo
:rabbit2:

Hiya congrats on getting Cosmo.

He needs more hay than that in my opinion, I'd give him double the hay and half the pellets :)

What kind of hay do you have?

He needs hay full time but people have various schedules for feeding pellets. Some split feeds into two or three a day or some feed once in morning or once in evening. I don't think it makes much difference as long as you stick to which ever you decide :)

Thanks! :D

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome :)

Cosmo has Vitakraft Hay & Nettle- Hope this is OK...
So you suggest me possibly giving him half a handful of pellets in the morning and then half at night do you think?

I understand that different owners vary in the way they give food to their bunnys, but in your own opinion, do you think the morning/evening thing works out a bit better for them?

Thanks in advance again! :D

CoSmo:lol:

With all young rabbits it is important to get them into the habbit of eating lots of hay, the hay you have is fine, but you may want to also supplement it with other hay as well. All hay is good providing it smells fresh and is dry, bad hay smells off and could be mouldy.

Some people buy hay in bales from famers / horse suppliers / normal pet shops, others buy hay in bags. There are many different suppliers of hay, the important thing is that you find one that you can feed to your rabbit in good quantities that they like. Hay does not have to be expensive to be good, the important thing is that they eat lots of it throughout the day.

By feeding lots of pellets they will fill up on these and not want to eat hay. Hay is good for grinding their teeth down and also promoting gut motility. Not enough hay potentially makes them more at risk of dental and gut problems.

Any method of feeding pellets is ok, as long as you are consistent, they need about a handful spread over the day. It doesnt matter if they are fed in the morning, evening or both as long as excessive amounts are not given.

Back