• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eddie, My 'Seizures Bun' Has Now Gone Blind :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Eddie Rabbit started having seizures a few weeks ago. He has been on Panacur for almost 6 weeks and had 2 weeks of Baytril and Metacam too. But we are not convinced his symptoms are EC related, we think he has a Brain Tumour/Abscess. Eddie has not had a fit for about 3 weeks but he has gradually gone blind and today he has head-tilt. So he is back on Baytril and Metacam to cover him for infection/inflammation in his CNS. In himself Eddie remains a happy chappie. He is eating well and has Lizzie to keep him company. We dont know how long we have left with Eddie, but for now he seems to be coping :)

Janex

that's sad new Jane but i'm glad to hear that Eddie is coping with the problems he his facing. Lots of Vibes for him and you x

Poor Eddie, do you think he can see anything at all? I know some buns retain a sensitivity to light and shadows.

I hope he stays bright in himself and adapts well with Lizzie's help.

Poor Eddie, he sounds lovely. Glad he is coping well with his condition and hope he continues to enjoy his time with you and Lizzie for a long time yet.

This may sound silly - as you and Christabel are so experienced - but why do you think it is not EC?

Its just that my Blackberry had a 'seizure' when he was about 10 weeks, and since then head tilt , a burst ear drum, and semi blindness - he is now 2 years and a contented little chap who loves life and his bun frineds - - although he is a bit 'slow' on the uptake at times. We think he may be slightly brain damaged as he also hops a bit funny - and we are pretty sure it was all due to EC.

Just wondered why you feel Eddie's is not - in case we are missing something with Blackberry.

Aw poor Eddie. :( Glad to hear that despite his problems he seems to be coping well - sending nose rubs his way! :D

AMETHYST

This may sound silly - as you and Christabel are so experienced - but why do you think it is not EC?

Its just that my Blackberry had a 'seizure' when he was about 10 weeks, and since then head tilt , a burst ear drum, and semi blindness - he is now 2 years and a contented little chap who loves life and his bun frineds - - although he is a bit 'slow' on the uptake at times. We think he may be slightly brain damaged as he also hops a bit funny - and we are pretty sure it was all due to EC.

Just wondered why you feel Eddie's is not - in case we are missing something with Blackberry.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of EC related sight-loss was due to cataracts, especially as seizures seem to be one of the far less common EC symptoms.

I may well be wrong though.

Oh Jane, that's so sad, I'm very sorry to hear this :( In your care though I'm sure his quality of life will be everything it could possibly be :)

Sorry to hear Jane.

Sorry to hear Jane.
Hope things pick up,:cry: been doing a bit more research today over seizure buns.

Hi Sooz and all;

I thought the blindness in young cases of EC was caused as the parasite came through the eye in some way??

Blackberry definitely has EC - but we are only guessing that this is what casued ths eizure, tilt and blindness. he has not had any seizures since he was little and he is 2 now and no other signs of anything else affecting him.

I also had a much older (6yrs) bun who developed some kind of cataracts as a result probably of EC as by then her kidneys were not functioning well and they said that was what caused the cataracts as she went into renal failure a year later.

The symptoms are still highly disputed but I understood it as lesions causing the liver damage much like its suspected lesions on the brain may cause seizures?

Two of the rescue buns have died from apparent EC related liver failure and I fear one of them's widower is going the same way.

Argh I dont know, there is so much reserach still to be done, the whole thing frustrates me terribly :censored:

Argh I dont know, there is so much reserach still to be done, the whole thing frustrates me terribly :censored:

Ditto!! :rolleyes:

With Eddie we are treating him and his partner to cover EC as of course we cant be certain that EC is not the problem. But Eddie is a known to be 'Pasteurella' Bun, having had several episodes of Snuffles and one bout of Pneumonia. Hence we feel his symptoms of seizures are likely to be the result of a 'Pasteurella Abscess' within his CNS. He has no sign of cataracts and we feel his sight loss is more likely to be due to the possibilty of an abscess in his CNS which is effecting his optic nerve. The head tilt we believe to be bacterial in origin ( Pasteurella) as Eddie responds to abx.

I could put Eddie through a remit of 'tests' to give *me* some answers. But it would not change what we are doing re Eddie's treatment. All 'tests' would do is stress him out and thus exacerbate his illness.

Gawd, Bunnies are so complicated!!

Janex

Back