• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need lots of vibes for Jasper please

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
This little boy has not had the best start to life.
I got in yesterday evening and my mum told me to go and check on him cos he was sitting in his litter tray and didn't come to see her when she went in my room.
Me and Mark (my OH) went upstairs and found a smelly, diarrhoea covered Jasper :(

I phoned my vet and got the emergency cover vets number, called them and rushed him down.

They gave him fluids, and sent him home with some stuff that has Kaolin in it to stop the diarrhoea and I've been syringing Science recovery into him... which is the easiest job ever cos he loves it and laps it up :love: And I've had to stop all other meds that he was having for the snuffles.

Went to my own vet today (pink bunny pram came out again! Luckily I already had an appointment to see about his front teeth, which he had trimmed for the moment) My vet can't work out what caused it but says to carry on with what I'm doing and he should be pretty much back to normal by Friday otherwise I've got to take him back in.

Poor Jasper has only been with me for 3 weeks, and he's only been in this world for 11 weeks and he's already been through so much. I definitely think it was meant to be that Mark and I went in and found these 2 boys, and that I broke my no pet shop rule. I dread to think what would have happened if we hadn't taken them on... or worse still if we'd taken Jasper back to the pet shop instead of getting him treated ourselves.

Awwwww poor Jasper :cry: I hope that he makes a good recovery.
Did the Vet recommend giving him some probiotics such as Fibreplex?

Janex

How long has Jasper been on abx? Pippa had an extremely bad reaction to Baytril and was covered in diarrhoea.

I hope he feels better soon :)

Awwwww poor Jasper :cry: I hope that he makes a good recovery.
Did the Vet recommend giving him some probiotics such as Fibreplex?

Janex

No, I was given Pro-Kolin by the emergency vet which sounded like a probiotic of some sort as well as having the binding effect.

I've just been up to give him some more Recovery and he's done some poo's... they're very soft but at least they are formed! He's now sat on his snugglesafe for the first time since I put it in there.

Sooz - he's been on them since a couple of days after I got him so nearly 3 weeks. It was changed to depocillin by injection last wednesday.

Last edited:
Lots of vibes!!

I send you and Jasper lots of vibes! I also bought my bunny in a pet shop (after repeating lots of times I'd never by a pet from a pet shop) and she has had lots of problems. She came with coccidiosis and was very ill, and now has active EC!! I got her when she was one month, and now she is about 5. Don't give up! Think you have saved Jasper and that you are doing everything possible for him!

Thank you for all the vibes, he's perked up a bit so please keep them coming :D
He spent most of the afternoon sprawled out on his snugglesafe, he's given himself a little mini clean up and had a nibble on some hay. We've also had some normal-ish shaped poo's, they're still softer than normal ones but fingers crossed we're heading in the right direction.

Back