• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

want to double check m information

bunlover

Warren Veteran
want to check what i replied to someone was correct as they sent me a nasty email.
someone on yahoo answers is breeding rabbits she put a post saying that the babies died for the first litter and a few days later she put her back in with another male to try again the rabbit started making noises and rolling around was that normal...(?in what sounds like distress to me) and has a little blood coming from her. now someonne said its just a rabbit period and i said rabbits didnt have periods like humans... and that it was irrisponsible to try and breed the rabbit so soon after her first litter apparently freezing as she didnt know what to do (the rabbit) so she sent me a very nasty email saying "rabbits doo have periods i know im a breeder and no rabbits look after their first litter they rarely survive so you should try to re breed them soon as posisble."she is obviously young as still at school and i was concerned by her response

so just checking rabbits dont get periods do they, and they shouldnt be bred a few days after losing a litter right? sounds worrying to me but obviously if im wrong i will apologise.

The words vets and now spring to mind.....if she miscarried and is still bleeding she is in serious trouble and may need an emergency spey.

This happened to Angie's Lana.

Rabbits DO NOT have periods nor do they 'come into season' in the way a cat or dog does. They are induced ovulators.

Correct Rabbits do not have periods.

However rabbits are at their most fertile after having lost a litter (guess its natures survival instinct and need to reproduce kicking in) so alot of breeders do mate up straight after. Personally I don't because I think if I'd just lost my babies I wouldn't want to be trying again so soon. But then perhaps thats me putting human emotions on to rabbits.

want to check what i replied to someone was correct as they sent me a nasty email.
someone on yahoo answers is breeding rabbits she put a post saying that the babies died for the first litter and a few days later she put her back in with another male to try again the rabbit started making noises and rolling around was that normal...(?in what sounds like distress to me) and has a little blood coming from her. now someonne said its just a rabbit period and i said rabbits didnt have periods like humans... and that it was irrisponsible to try and breed the rabbit so soon after her first litter apparently freezing as she didnt know what to do (the rabbit) so she sent me a very nasty email saying "rabbits doo have periods i know im a breeder and no rabbits look after their first litter they rarely survive so you should try to re breed them soon as posisble."she is obviously young as still at school and i was concerned by her response

so just checking rabbits dont get periods do they, and they shouldnt be bred a few days after losing a litter right? sounds worrying to me but obviously if im wrong i will apologise.

Rabbits are induced ovulators and do not have 'periods' as such.
If she has just lost a litter and is now bleeding PV I would be more concerned about infection than getting the poor Doe mated again :rolleyes: :evil:

The behaviour you describe does not sound 'normal' to me and IMO putting her to a Buck so soon is cruel. If she only gave birth very recently she will be at her most fertile *but* if she has an infection ( causing the PV bleeding) then she wont be receptive to a Buck and may cross infect.

Janex

thankyou for your advice i wont continue to email this user as she obviously feels differently from me about responsible breeding and rabbit care but it is good to know about me being correct on the period note. i did mention infection she did seem to think it may be a good idea to take to vet but not for same reasons. so hopefully she will take to a vet anyway.

I have heard from other breeders that a reason to put the doe back to the buck is to help avoid mastitis (sp) with the high hormones and milk production. That when with a litter the milk dries up slowly but if a litter dies it can cause problems with the milk ducts??

I have heard from other breeders that a reason to put the doe back to the buck is to help avoid mastitis (sp) with the high hormones and milk production. That when with a litter the milk dries up slowly but if a litter dies it can cause problems with the milk ducts??

oh ok not heard that before i can understand in that instance but i just thought it seemed unkind to try and remate the rabbit so soon, iv already decided not to contact the person agian as do not want to argue the point just wanted to know what was correct. once again thankyou for all your replys.

To be honest i have only replied as that is what ive heard. Poor girl should not be mated if still bleeding def needs vet attn. I hope by emailing them you have put the idea across and it makes them stop and think and seek advice for her.

Back