• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joining 2 hutches together

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
We have 2 x 4 foot long double hutches that have never been used and are looking to join them together to make one long 8ft hutch, either as 2 singles (2ft high each level) or as a double for maybe a bonded trio or larger pair.

What do you think is the best option?

We have 2 x 4 foot long double hutches that have never been used and are looking to join them together to make one long 8ft hutch, either as 2 singles (2ft high each level) or as a double for maybe a bonded trio or larger pair.

What do you think is the best option?

I'd say end to end as if you put one on top of the other you'll lose space where the ramp will be

Helen x

I think the 8 foot long option. If you make it a 2 storey affair they will still only have 4 foot to "hop along" on any given level and I am thinking they would like to hop in a straight line for longer than that...also, once the ramp is in place as Pipstrel pointed out...

TP;)

I think you've both misunderstood :?- the length would be 8ft but it's whether to have it as an 8ft 2 tier hutch (i.e 1 hutch of 8ft long with a ladder in it to get to the 2nd 8ft long floor)

Or whether to have it as 2 single 8ft long hutches:D

Either way they'd still have 8ft to hop along length wise, it's whether or not to make it into 2, 8ft long hutches or 1:D

Okay.....I read this differently than everyone else, I think! I took it to mean that she had two 4 foot hutches that were BOTH 2 story already, and she is going to join them together but can't decide whether to seal up the ramp holes and then make it into two 2 foot by 8 foot long single story hutches, or to keep it as one giant 8 foot long double story hutch?!?!?:?

Hiya.

I have got a two storey 8ft hutch which I bought from ebay.

I have used it for foster bunnies so far and felt that it gave each bun sufficient space for a short stay with us.

More recently, I adopted some of the buns that I was fostering and have moved them into accommdation that includes attached runs. I noticed that the bunnies were getting a little distressed by each other's smell etc. The bunny on the top floor kept on thumping and upsetting the bun below who became fairly timid. She is now much happier having been moved away and up the garden pending bonding.

I think that if it's feesable I would make it one enormous hutch by means of a hinged ramp so that if you need to use it for two separate sets of buns you can hinge it up and fix it in place using a hook or turn button.

To join them together could you make a 'bridge' between the two with a door/opening in the sides so that they have a 8ft long run plus the bit that you add in the middle? You could make it big enough that the buns can bound straight through it. Problem is trying to describe what I mean - can see it clear as day in my head!

I can see what you mean Duchess, that sounds brilliant:) Will have to see how far out we can extend it but that does sound like fun for the buns. Like the hinged floor idea too. Will run these ideas past hubby as he will be the one adapting them - thanks everyone:)

I joined two four foot hutches together... they were both double storey and I kept the double storey on one side, but not the other, so they have the best of both worlds.

Works great as they have 8ft long hutch downstairs and then four foot upstairs of accommodation where their water bowl and secluded bed area is.

Back