• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunny age ?

fairylegs

Young Bun
Can anyone tell me pls at wot age baby buns can be taken away from their mums ?
I think it's 8 weeks and my mate thinks it's 6 weeks ?
And can u tell me why 2 more weeks wood make the difference if it is 8 weeks. I need to explain to her and want to be right pmsl
Thanks
Lisa xx

Hopefully someone more experienced will come along an help with this but they should stay with Mum till at least 8 weeks old.

The extra 2 weeks is vital for them to continue developing and letting their immune systems strenghten.

8 weeks minimum. Also I believe it may be illegal to sell animals under 8 weeks, but Im not sure.

Its vital for the developement of their social skills and youngsters are also prone to severe infections of the GI tract when under stress or due to environmental/dietary changes. This is because the gut PH of a young rabbit must change from alkali to acidic to process an adult diet.

The older they are the more developed their immune system will be, the more tolerant their GI tract and the better their chance of survival.

Can I throw a spanner in the works here?

In the eyes of the RSPCA and Pet Shops etc baby rabbits are classed as 'weaned' by 4 weeks old - hence why it is legal to sell them at 6 weeks old. The BRC code of conduct says that BRC members may not sell any rabbit under 8 weeks old.

Personally I take my babies away from mum at about 7 weeks, then at 8 or 9 weeks they'll be split into single sex groups and once reserved for new homes at about 10 weeks will be split into their own hutches individually. This way all the changes are gradual as opposed to baby being taken away from Mum at 10 weeks and going straight to being on its, stress like that can cause stasis.

So if you're friend really wanted to she could take babies away from Mum at 6 weeks (although 7 or 8 would be better) but she can't rehome them until they're at least 8 weeks old.

I've had to take babies away from Mum between 4 and 6 weeks before if Mums been ill and the 4 weeks old may struggle a little but my 6 week olds don't bat an eyelid.

Back