• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making an Access Door - Help Please!!

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I have a Happy Hutch over run and am thinking of making an access door in the end panel of the run to allow the buns to access the grass run which I'm going to make for summer.

Being a DIY novice, can anyone give me advice on how to make an access door in a panel which is already meshed etc?? Any pics if you have already done this would be great too.

I have a Happy Hutch over run and am thinking of making an access door in the end panel of the run to allow the buns to access the grass run which I'm going to make for summer.

Being a DIY novice, can anyone give me advice on how to make an access door in a panel which is already meshed etc?? Any pics if you have already done this would be great too.

Is the hole to remain permanently open or is it requiring shutting off at times.

If you want it permanently make frame using the base and the side wood of the run, add two pieces of wood to make these become a complete square. Add wood the otherside of the pieces you have added and then cut out the mesh in the middle. Sorry it is hard to explain without doing it and showing you.

I must be better at DIY than I thought cos that's the only way I'd thought of doing it, thanks for confirming that. But I will need to shut and bolt it off as they will only be on the grass when I'm around - any ideas how I can do that??

Does your run have a baton of wood half way between the front panel running down ? If so cut the wire from the one side and them make a frame for the door in that opening :) Use the wire you cut and put it in frame. Then use hinges and a bolt. Hinge to left side and bolt clip on the baton.

Does your run have a baton of wood half way between the front panel running down ? If so cut the wire from the one side and them make a frame for the door in that opening :) Use the wire you cut and put it in frame. Then use hinges and a bolt. Hinge to left side and bolt clip on the baton.

Thanks Steph, yes it does have the baton of wood half way along. Do you mean I'd end up with a large door? I hadn't thought of that! I have spare wood and mesh actually from a failed attempt at building a run last year I could use.

I know its slightly different but I made this door inbetween the hutch legs to allow access. The bolts work well and I should imagine this would work on a frame too :D

Picture143.jpg

That would be the easiest way to make it I think. The door would be about the size of the wire you cut out minus the wooden frame you make. Alternatively add another baton and do a smaller door. Hope this makes sense :lol:

You need a door over the hole, so using the wood frame you have made around the hole attatch a piece of wood using hinges and have a bolt to keep it in place.

Thankyou :)

I'm thinking rather than spending a fortune on a HH extension, I'm going to make an access door to the grass, and construct a grass run, maybe out of aviary panels, or the pws run, on the grass for nicer weather use when I'm around.

Thats a great idea Kathryn, I've been thinking (and failing!) of how to do this, because I'd like the HH Combi when I move house, but need it so the buns can get in & out to/from the garden themselves. Rhia wouldnt be a problem as she'd jump onto the run & into the hutch but some of the bunnies Ive had wouldnt do that. Hmm, do you think it'd be still very secure then? X

Becki, I don't see why it couldn't be as secure as a hutch door with a bolt and padlock for overnight.

Back