• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit hutch so far!

Well I took one of the flight cages off my old pigeon loft and I'm going to use it for part of the hutch. I'm going to build a smaller hutch that I can put inside so I can lock them up at night (or should I just let them allowed in it at night and day) and make a lip to put hay/wood chips in it for them to sleep/hide in. The big cage does have wire(don't know if you can tell) and will sit on the grass so they can have grass to eat (will feed them real food) and have a bigger area for them! Once the other hutch is finished, all I'll have to do is get the bunnies!

Edit: Don't worry about those holes they will be filled in lol.

hutch.jpg

What size is it going to be. If you plan to leave them out all the time, then probably grass is not the best place for them, either they will dig out, or something will dig in, unless you put something to stop that happening.

Our Outside Hutch is sat on a Concrete Bed, and is 6ftx2ftx2ft and has access to 6ft4xft run at all times

Its difficult to get an idea of scale from the photograph.

At the moment it looks more like a run than a hutch. Are you putting an enclosed hutch inside of it, because it looks too small :?

I agree, siteing it on the grass may not be the best place because they will dig out.

A project in progress!

Can I just check that you have or will thoroughly clean anything that was previously used for pigeons. I think I am right in saying that they carry disease that can affect bunnies. Can't remember what it's called but I just remember someone telling me about how it's better not to attract some birds to the garden because of the risk of infection.

What size is it going to be. If you plan to leave them out all the time, then probably grass is not the best place for them, either they will dig out, or something will dig in, unless you put something to stop that happening.

Our Outside Hutch is sat on a Concrete Bed, and is 6ftx2ftx2ft and has access to 6ft4xft run at all times

I've cleaned the whole cage with bleach/water. I'm going to build a smaller hutch that will fit inside for night time. Then during the day they will have both of them as I will leave the smaller one open. I'll be able to watch them all day as I'm in independent studies (I go to school once a week and then bring my work home to do it) and that is my room next to the cage. I'm going to dig a trench around the outside of the cage and put fencing about a foot down. When I'm out their with them I will let them into the yard (they have no way of getting out because we have small dogs and they can't even get out lol.) Then I can put them back into the cage and they will still have a nice area to play/run around in. It's 8X5X5 and we are going to build another hutch that will fit up against the back of the cage.

Back