• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth problems?

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
I took my four buns to the vets the other day to have their myxi jabs. He gave them all a good thorough health check.

He commented on all four of their teeth. Duncan's are a little uneven and I have to keep an eye on for the future, the girls (who are sisters) have little shards at the back, Frank's aren't too bad but it got me thinking as to how common is teeth problems. My other bunny I had when I was younger had to have his teeth cut regularly aswell.

How conincidental is it for me to have potentially four buns all who may run into dental problems?!

Not unusual at all Im afraid, a rabbit who never has dental work in their lifetime is a much rarer thing.

I currently have 3 rabbits with dental problems and am adopting another one on Friday.

I took my four buns to the vets the other day to have their myxi jabs. He gave them all a good thorough health check.

He commented on all four of their teeth. Duncan's are a little uneven and I have to keep an eye on for the future, the girls (who are sisters) have little shards at the back, Frank's aren't too bad but it got me thinking as to how common is teeth problems. My other bunny I had when I was younger had to have his teeth cut regularly aswell.

How conincidental is it for me to have potentially four buns all who may run into dental problems?!

Hello, I think loads of bunnies have teeth troubles.... :(
one of mine (SmokyJoe) did, but we changed his hay to hay from a farm/horse suppliers (rather than hay from a pet shop) and it seems to be much better - no problems for 2 years. The new hay smells and looks better and he likes it more, so eats more of it :D

I agree with Sooz....to find a rabbit who DOESN'T need dental work is a rareity.
Poor breeding is so common now and so are dental problems. Three of mine have to have regular dentals and they never presented any signs of problems before diagnosis. I take any bun every six months or so to have their teeth checked, that way you pick up on things before problems arise. It's far easier to have teeth burred down before it gets to the point that the rabbits stops eating, develops abscesses, infections etc.....

I have one serious dental bunny, Willow who has his teeth clipped every month. Another four who present potential problems but only one of those has had to have a dental work. The trick is to ensure that they have good quality hay, I find the stalkier the better. If they are not eating much then you could reduce their pellets gradually. It's just a case of keeping an eye on them for changes in eating habits and behaviour.

Hopefully yours will not need treatment.:D

Bud (touch wood ;)) hasn't had any problems with his teeth at all - they're perfect, but Stella has loads:(!! She recently had to have a dental under GA and has had to have one of her front teeth burred down twice since the dental in January. All her front teeth are crooked and don't meet properly. Her bottom left one grows really fast cos it's not meeting the top tooth, I think that this caused the problems with her back teeth, she had spurs - is that the right word??? The vet said she might need this tooth out - it seems to be the root of all evil!!!! I dont know what to do for the best with this tooth!!!
Unfortunately, she didnt show any problems until the back teeth were quite long, so I thought she was ok. It wasn't until she almst stopped eating one day I knew something was wrong - now I'm better educated and make sure that I check her front teeth and she goes to the vet to have the back ones checked. With regular check-ups and keeping her teeth trimmed, I'm hoping she'll be ok.

Poor Stellabob:cry::cry::cry:.

I agree with Sooz....to find a rabbit who DOESN'T need dental work is a rareity.
Poor breeding is so common now and so are dental problems. Three of mine have to have regular dentals and they never presented any signs of problems before diagnosis. I take any bun every six months or so to have their teeth checked, that way you pick up on things before problems arise. It's far easier to have teeth burred down before it gets to the point that the rabbits stops eating, develops abscesses, infections etc.....

How much is it to get a dental done on a bunny?

Hi,

My two girls both had tiny molar spurs but touch wood have never needed a dental yet. I get there teeth checked quite regularly (whenever they are at the vet really). Opal does have eye problems too though.
try the coarse meadow hay from

www.dustfreehay.co.uk

It will help keep their teeth worn down. Worth a try :D

How much is it to get a dental done on a bunny?

Conscious Incisor burring is about £10.

For Molar work under a General Aneasthetic I have paid between £60 and £120.

For Incisor removal I paid around £100 for all four plus peg teeth.

Touching huge amounts of wood I've never had a bunny that's needed dental work.

I have been lucky that the local hay is very good quality, very fresh and a lovely shade of green, not only that but I offer a variety of hay Timothy, dried herbs etc. I have always bedded my buns on hay and have oodles of fresh hay everywhere, that plus free range grass chomping, old tree trucks and willow branches have all helped too.

I heard that lops are more prone though and Arthur is my first lop so who knows.

Conscious Incisor burring is about £10.

For Molar work under a General Aneasthetic I have paid between £60 and £120.

For Incisor removal I paid around £100 for all four plus peg teeth.

thanks for the reply I am new to keeping rabbits and trying to learn all i can.How can a rabbit manage if it get their teeth removed?

They can manage without their incisors because they only use them to cut things up. Chewing is done at the back of the mouth by the molars. It just means that their veg will have to be cut into smaller pieces and hay needs to be shorter strands. My rabbit refused to eat hay after her incisors were removed but I know any cope absolutely fine. My boys all have problems with their molars but have perfect incisors! I pay about 50 to have their molars done. When Charlie was alive her bills were a lot higher because her molars were in such a mess. Two of my bunnies now have spurs removed every so often, and that is so they don't develop problems later. They re good hay eaters but prone to molar spurs due to poor breeding. My lop has molars that are very loose, he's lost a few already during a dental and has quite a poor jaw bone. You would never know it though because he has never shown any signs of having dental disease and always eats very well. I only uncovered it because I took him for a checkup shortly after rescuing him.

Back