• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so upset :-(

charlie82

Mama Doe
I have a female bunny who I have to keep away from my other rabbits because her aggression goes beyond that of a typical rabbit. I don't like the fact that she is on her own so she lives in the summerhouse in a seven foot by 3ft cage and the rest live free range in there. Tonight by freak accident she managed to get hold of my five month old lionhead and although I managed to break it up very quickly the damage had been done.

I checked Phoebe over (five month old bun) and on first appearance seemed fine, then I noticed a chunk of her fur and picked it up to find a huge piece of skin and other matter attached to it. I turned her over and she had a hole three inches long by two inches wide and I could see her thigh muscles and stomach muscles. She is only a 1.3kg bun and is so tiny. I took her straight to the emergency vet and they have taken her in. She wasn't sure that there was enough skin to hold it together tightly enough so I am just praying that she gets through this. She was spayed last week and went into stasis, I have only just managed to get her over that. I hope she is strong enough to cope with this. I am feeling so guilty and upset. If she can't be helped I will never ever forgive myself. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I can call the vet in 20 minutes to see how she is doing. :( I just don't know how she is going to get through the next week until her wound heals because I think it will just split open if she tries to walk :cry:

I can call the vet in 20 minutes to see how she is doing. :( I just don't know how she is going to get through the next week until her wound heals because I think it will just split open if she tries to walk :cry:

Please forgive me if i sound silly, but can they not stitch the skin back on? Or will the tissue be dead?

Hope she is OK :cry:

Lexie got hold of Maverick on two occasions, once he escaped from the kitchen whilst I was alseep...it was so lucky I woke up when I did.

Please dont blame yourself, sadly accidents do happen.

Please forgive me if i sound silly, but can they not stitch the skin back on? Or will the tissue be dead?

I did wonder that myself after being to the vets.....and especially since the vet was asking me if the skin was pink etc. However I was a complete idiot and didn't take it to the vets as I was in such a panic mode at the time and only thought about getting there. But thinking about it I think the skin there would be no good at reattatching because it is so thin and I don't think a blood supply would return therefore it would probably end up becoming necrotic tissue.:(

Hope she is OK :cry:

Lexie got hold of Maverick on two occasions, once he escaped from the kitchen whilst I was alseep...it was so lucky I woke up when I did.

Please dont blame yourself, sadly accidents do happen.

thanks sooz... I do keep going over the 'what if's' etc..... but I know it will do no good and I have to think about getting her through this. I know I'm going to have a battle on my hands simply getting her to eat again.

I hope petplan will pay out too, the estimated bill is around £500 and no doubt it will go up.

Any news?

I do hope she'll be okay, and you weren't to know something like this would happen, please don't blame yourself

What an awful thing to happen. Sending you all the vibes I can! Thinking about you, and praying for a good outcome for Phoebe.

thank you everybody....

Just spoke to the vet, Phoebe is doing ok. She came through the anaesthetic really well and vet thinks her stitches should stay together. She said she was very lucky that her stomach wasn't damaged so hopefully we just have to see that she will leave the wound alone and infection doesn't set in. Vet wants to keep her on baytril, does anyone think that she needs anything stronger? I just pray I can get her eating again.....this past week has been awful with her after her spay. She wanted to put a collar on her but I said not to because she doesn't take any kind of stress very well and I just want to keep it to a minimum...that being said I imagine she is feeling traumatised at the moment. I need to have a think about sorting out new housing for Milly. I don't know if I want to take the risk of leaving her in where the others are even though she is caged.

Vibes for Phoebe.

The same thng happened to one of my buns Smudge just over a year ago. another bun attacked her and left her with a hole in her abdomen. She had the wound debrided and sutured and then it got infected and had to have it debrided and sutured again.

She's only a tiny bun too, 1.3kg. She got over it fine and has had no problems with it since.

Your lucky your insured, I wasn't!

Vibes for Phoebe.

The same thng happened to one of my buns Smudge just over a year ago. another bun attacked her and left her with a hole in her abdomen. She had the wound debrided and sutured and then it got infected and had to have it debrided and sutured again.

She's only a tiny bun too, 1.3kg. She got over it fine and has had no problems with it since.

Your lucky your insured, I wasn't!

poor Smudge!!!! When I was younger my neighbours rabbit attacked mine and the same thing happened. Only that time the muscles in her thigh were been torn apart too and it was like putting a jigsaw back together. She got an infection in the wound and it took ages to heal. I wasn't insured that time but it happened during veterinary opening hours and fees were probably cheaper (it was over ten years ago). I think emergency vets are great but the fees are way overpriced. It was 120 before phoebe was even seen.

Back