• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

** Frustrated new owner!! Clipping nails **

Fiski23

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:

Just registered so new to this site, please help me if you can!

I got Billy (boy) just over 3 weeks ago. He is a house rabbit and is litter trained, took a while but we got there! He is a lovely boy and loves his nose, head and ears stroked and is friendly and inquisitive! Really pleased about that.

I'm still learning though and was looking up about nails. We had to give him worm medicine via a syringe last week and was scratched to bits when i picked him up. Mouth clamped shut he wouldn't let me do it!! vet made it look so easy but different story when I tried!!

Anyway, got round that one as vet said it was OK to put medicine on food as long as he ate it, which he did. Now I have investigated nail clipping which he ob needs, I have the deep scratches as proof! The hard bit is catching him to let me do it and keeping him there. He runs off all the time and thinks it's a game of chase! When I do get him, he struggles so much, I panic and put him back down. I also worry I'm scaring him as I don't want to lose the little bond we have!

Any ideas on how I can get him to calm down and let me do what's best for him? Is it best to be persistent or try just a couple of times a day?

I love having him as I have never had a rabbit before and it's exciting having a new pet and seeing the things he does. I especially love the binkys and rolling on the floor!!

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

When we nail clip in my house O/H sits the bun on his knee and holds the bun firmly; straightening the leg which I'm going to cut the claws on.

We also found that the rabbits have no problems eating treats in this position :roll::lol:

i can trim one of my buns nails on my own...maya is so dopey :D

i take Bindi to worjk to have her nails trimmed....i am a dog/cat /small animal groomer and Bindi needs an extra person to hold her :roll: its also good for the trainees to see how a "naughty" bunny performs. :lol:

Thanks for your replies!! Think he will go for the idea if treats are involved :lol:

Will have to just have a go and see me thinks!!

Fingers crossed x

Might be an idea to go to the vets first just to see how he reacts :? He is only 11 weeks old so he won't be used to it!! Thanks :)

Clipping nails is a 2 person job with my lot. I grab a bun, wrap him / her in a towel and sit them on someone's knee and get them to keep a good hold of said bun, then rummage about until i find a foot, release it from the towel and get clipping :D

For the first year of owning them, I took them to the vets to be done until I was confident enough to do them myself :)

I was a bit nervous about cutting my bunnies nails so I took them to the vets. She then cut one too far and made it bleed which upset me. Now I follow advice I got off this site and use a round ended nail file. When the rabbits are sitting on my knee and eating I gently file their nails. It doesn't have to be done all at once but can be a little each day. The file takes the sharp edges off and mine soon got used to it if you do it gradually.

I have two different ways. My two lops I can hold like a baby and clip away. The third bun rosie I have to hold facing my chest (well wrapped up) holding as much bunny against me as possible and my hands over her eyes. The OH then pulls out one paw at a time and clips away.

There is no way I can clip Jessicas nails, even with two people. I have to pay about £8 to get her nails done at the vets, it requires 1 vet, 2 nurses and 1 mommy to manage to get them all done.

Actually shes needs to have them done soon as they are getting quite sharp... its something I absolutely dread. Molly on the other hand will happily let me do it on my own. Hes so dopey he probably doesn't realised they are even clipped :roll:

When Alfred first needed his done I was too scared so I took him to my vets to do it. The vet was really awesome and had me do it while she helped so I'd learn how. We wrapped him up in a towel, like others have said, and did one foot at a time. Worked a charm!

I don't have a problem with mine - I sit them on a box or table or something, I make sure I put them on a towel so they don't slip around!!! If I lean over them and put one arm round them, pull the little feet out form under them and clip away with the other hand!! I don't think they like it but they don't play up!!! ;)

We go for the towel method, my mum or sister holds them in the towel and I clip away, just have to watch Treacle cus she likes to try and kick you in the face when you've finished and Meggie sometimes to kick whilst your doing the clipping :roll:

I wrap Kitten in a towel as she will scratch me to death if I try to clip her nails otherwise! It seems to make her feel more secure :)

I get the vet to do Misty and Sids nails, it doesnt cost much and I would hate to think I would hurt them :shock:

Thank you all very much for your help. Think I will be taking a trip to the vet for a lesson before I try!! x:D

i find it easier with Cassie as a 2 person job, one to hold her and the other to clip the nails, she shakes her back legs loads and has a v powerful kick. But my other bun that i had had from a baby i could hold laying over my arm and clip all on my own. It will probably improve with time as you get used to it and so does he.
:wave:

Back