• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rexes ever not get sore hocks

Radish

Mama Doe
just what it says in the title.... can rexes live without ever suffering sore hocks.

my two mini rexes both have sore hocks although Moo has only one sore one.

they are twenty weeks old and have only been housed with very deep soft bedding.

i was using fuciderm but they were spayed on Friday and the vet doesn't want me to use it due to the steroids.

the skin isn't broken but is very red looking

in the mean time i'm just applying sudocrem twice a day.

i'm quite disheartened that they already have the problem when so young and feel that they will be very bad by the time they are old bunnies.

i adore rexes but this is putting me off owning more of them if they are all destined to have sore feet.

anyone with rexes who don't get sore feet.?

anyone with rexes who don't get sore feet.?

Yes :)

But I also have Rexes/Velveteens who do have them. It is 100% down to breeding. On a more positive note I have a 7.5 year old Rex Doe, Miss Bunny Penny who has had hock problems all her life. Treatment with FLAMAZINE CREAM got the problem under control and now her hocks remain bald but the skin has hardened and so the dont get sore/ulcerated/infected. I *never* use Fuciderm on sore hocks as IMO the steroid content can exacerbate the problem in the longterm

Janex

As a soon to be rex with hock problem owner....is Flamazine a POM Jane? If not I am thinking it would be good to keep some in stock.

Is there a cream one can apply long term to prevent infection? My rex has bare skin under her hocks, but no sores. They live with us in the kitchen so I can't lay out soft carpets all over. Don't know what to do for the best?

Yes :)

But I also have Rexes/Velveteens who do have them. It is 100% down to breeding. On a more positive note I have a 7.5 year old Rex Doe, Miss Bunny Penny who has had hock problems all her life. Treatment with FLAMAZINE CREAM got the problem under control and now her hocks remain bald but the skin has hardened and so the dont get sore/ulcerated/infected. I *never* use Fuciderm on sore hocks as IMO the steroid content can exacerbate the problem in the longterm

Janex

the fuciderm is only ever used for five days. the steroids slow down cell growth so obviously over time good healthy cell growth will be slowed which defeats the object of the exercise but short term results have been good as Moo only has one sore hock now.:D

My school has a few rexes and as far as I know only once did we experience a buck who got somewhat sore hooks.
My own rex buck got large sores and swollen feet once after I had neglected cleaning his hutch due to rain...that was the last time I ever let bad weather stand in the way of my hutch-cleaning schedule :shock:
I've had rexes for almost two years (exactly two years in May, as that was when I got Sasuke) and only got sore hooks once. The doe has never had it during her 11 months of life:D

I use Flamazine as well. Floss's hocks are fine as long as she has plenty of grass time. They flare up if she's brought indoors for any length of time(ie due to illness during the winter) as the carpets are abrasive.

poppy has sore hocks but *only* on the leg which was broken and set crooked - the sore bits are where she's walking on a bit of foot that wouldnt normally have pressure on cos it's twisted. her others are fine.

i use dermisol on her and it's really good, if they look sore i put it on and within a day or two theyre back to normal :)

Back