• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you house your indoor rabbits?

Evening

We are looking for a wifey for Magic, we visited a rescue the weekend and were told for another to join him we need at least a 4ft dog crate but they could never be locked in?

Do you lock in your house rabbits when you go to work?

He currently lives in a 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.ft cage made from NIC from B & Q. He get to roam whilst we get ready in the morning and then again when we come home in the evening until bedtime. At weekends it's free roam all day.

I just want a mate for him and think that this request is bit unrealistic.

Thanks
Amanda & Magic

Hello

I have a single bun who is free range in one room all the time except when I am at work. She is shut in a 48 inch dog crate during the day. She sleeps during the day anyway so I wouldn't have thought shutting two in while you were are work would have been a problem.

I had 2 bunnies bonded in a very large indoor cage that they were closed in when i was at work. THey seemed quite happy, as long as basically when i was home i let them out to run about all over the place.;)

Our house bunny foursome have the luxury of a bunny room!! :lol: They don't have a crate or anything like that ... just a room with litter trays and toys. When we're home we just open the door and they come and go as they please! :D

Thanks for the reply.

I thought this as well, but to have the rescue bun we need to get like a rabbit play pen and attached this as well so then have room to run in the lounge of we can't let them roam.

In there T&C's it says not to be locked in and access to one sizable room 12ft x 12ft.

Anyone any ideas of where to get a good play pen from?

Amanda & Magic

Our house bunny foursome have the luxury of a bunny room!! :lol: They don't have a crate or anything like that ... just a room with litter trays and toys. When we're home we just open the door and they come and go as they please! :D

WOW a bunny room! When we buy our next house i think we may make sure that there is a room for them too!

Amanda & Magic

My indoor buns are in what would be the dining room but we have computers in there. It is a room I spend most of my time in. They have a cage, which they really only use as a base and are free range the rest of the time!

Thanks for the reply.

I thought this as well, but to have the rescue bun we need to get like a rabbit play pen and attached this as well so then have room to run in the lounge of we can't let them roam.

In there T&C's it says not to be locked in and access to one sizable room 12ft x 12ft.

Anyone any ideas of where to get a good play pen from?

Amanda & Magic

They've got playpens on www.rossrabbits.co.uk. They are about £55.00 to £60.00 quite expensive. You might be able to get one on ebay cheaper.

This is how Piper's set-up is:

ATT24976.jpg

I made a fence for her little pen, and covered the floor with foam squares so she can't destroy the carpet :lol:

She can be in here while I am at work and I don't have to worry about her

This is how Piper's set-up is:

ATT24976.jpg

I made a fence for her little pen, and covered the floor with foam squares so she can't destroy the carpet :lol:

She can be in here while I am at work and I don't have to worry about her

That looks great but where did you get the foam squares?

Amanda & Magic

indoor bunnies

Hi, have you thought about buying a second cage the same size as your current one, off ebay you can get for around £15 and put your new bunny in that when your out at work. If the cages are next to each other they can still interact and it would prevent distruction. Plus when you get a new bunny I wouldnt advise leaving them together unsupervised even if it was in an entire room. My sister had two bunnies who had a whole room to run around in and got on perfectly, until 2 months later one attacked the other, hefty vets bill.

Good Luck!

Hi, have you thought about buying a second cage the same size as your current one, off ebay you can get for around £15 and put your new bunny in that when your out at work. If the cages are next to each other they can still interact and it would prevent distruction. Plus when you get a new bunny I wouldnt advise leaving them together unsupervised even if it was in an entire room. My sister had two bunnies who had a whole room to run around in and got on perfectly, until 2 months later one attacked the other, hefty vets bill.

Good Luck!

I think that would defy the point of getting a pair and I cant see the rescue agreeing to that either.

indoor bunnies

I think that would defy the point of getting a pair and I cant see the rescue agreeing to that either.

Hehe! Just a suggestion! But it has been mentioned that the bunny gets to run around in the morning and evening which would be ample time for them to play :D not everyone has the luxury of a bunny room!

I have Buster in a hutch in my bedroom atm but he is moving into a cage. He sleeps all day so I wouldn't worry about shutting them in all day.

Mine stay in their playpen when I am at work then come out all night when I get home. They stay out most weekend and go back when I know they are feeling fed up and want peace and quiet. They have a small wooden house in their playpen so they can hide away and lots of toys to keep themselves amused when I am not there.

Kizzy is an indoor rabbit just now and he has a large dog crate but i leave it open 24/7, he is in my room so the door is shut and he gets access to my room but in his dog crate is straw/water/food etc and he goes their to wee :D he lies under the bed pretty much all day :rolleyes:

I bought one of those play pens from Pets at home. They had different sizes there. They are fine for mini lops but my french lop jumped straight out. Pam

Good Luck!

This could actually result in territorial issues and end up resulting in huge vet bills when they are put out together due to fighting, certainly something I would not suggest and support this idea.

Back