• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jessica has a dirty bum

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I'm a bit worried about Jessica, my lionhead/ angora cross, as she keeps having intermitant loose faeces. She lost her friend Fudge in December and has been a bit dowdy ever since, but lately she has been messy 3 to 4 days a week, the rest of the time she seems fine. She is eating and drinking and is quite bright, although she isn't cleaning herself as well as she did. I've put her on fibreplex, cut back on her mix and haven't changed the veg she gets.
I ordered some rearguard today and will take her into the vets this week, but I don't really see what else they can do for her as she doesn't appear ill.
What else can I try, is it stupid to book her in and get all the hair clipped off her back end, or is this overkill. She's a very fluffy bun.

Hi, I'm a bit worried about Jessica, my lionhead/ angora cross, as she keeps having intermitant loose faeces. She lost her friend Fudge in December and has been a bit dowdy ever since, but lately she has been messy 3 to 4 days a week, the rest of the time she seems fine. She is eating and drinking and is quite bright, although she isn't cleaning herself as well as she did. I've put her on fibreplex, cut back on her mix and haven't changed the veg she gets.
I ordered some rearguard today and will take her into the vets this week, but I don't really see what else they can do for her as she doesn't appear ill.
What else can I try, is it stupid to book her in and get all the hair clipped off her back end, or is this overkill. She's a very fluffy bun.

Get her teeth checked. I had this problem for ages... see previous threads and what problems I had and suggestions that were followed. Nothing worked. Since her dental she has had a snowy white bottom :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114053

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116575

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=120943

The first vet saw her mucky bum and saw tiny spurs on her teeth but said her teeth were ok as spurs so tiny they wouldnt cause a problem.

Second vet said teeth usually ok, but BECAUSE she had mucky bum the dental was a good idea. One day of worry for Twinkle and now a snowy white bottom.... it was so worth it.

Ask a vet to check and check again, and even if they say teeth are ok, I would still consider a GA for a good look at her back teeth.

I cant stress enough how many months of worry and messy bums I had to deal with, and now its as if she never had a problem at all.

If the vet says yes to a dental, then get them to shave the soiled fur off whilst she is asleep. Twinkle had all her fur shaved and now its lovely again, and there was no stress involved with clipping the fur whilst she is awake.

Good luck and let me know how you get on..

Last edited:
Well Jessica was spayed today and I asked the vets to check her teeth at the same time and to clip her bum. They did need doing but she started to wake up so ,Charlie , the vet, did the best he could as he didn't want her under for any longer. The spay took longer as she is a bit too fat:oops:, I have been trying to cut them back, but 2 runs are out of order at the moment so the rabbits are going out in shifts for 4-6 hours a time. Hopefully when the weather improves we will get a whole new set of 9 runs built but it will be a wee while yet, we are planning to start this week though.
Anyway, thanks fluffiebunnie for mentioning the teeth, hopefully this will sort her dirty bum. She will be checked again in a few weeks time and see how her teeth are doing.

Back