• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
We're going to treat Rhia with a 6 wk dose of panacur, have bought a 9 day course from the vets but going to buy the rest online (cheaper..) but have just looked at it http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...d=1105&zenid=04a8536d34fe4fb5634e744918a41258 and it says for single treatment course only :? Does this mean I cant use it for the 6 wks? Also, is there some of you that use a different panacur which works out cheaper? Sure Ive read about it before but mustn't have taken it in properly! Thanks :D X

For about £10 you can buy a 100ml bottle of the Panacur 10% oral liquid which should be given at a dose rate of 0.2ml per kg. It works out much cheaper than the paste over 6 weeks.

It means single treatment course whether that be 9days or 28 days. Have i missed something, i didnt know little Rhia was poorly. I used this pancur paste when i treated all my four for 28 days each :shock:, used about 7 tubes!! :lol:

The 10% solution definitely works out way cheaper. The only thing is, I've found it harder to get into bunnies than the paste (as the dosage is higher). It's not bad though, and you save so much on a 6 week course.

For about £10 you can buy a 100ml bottle of the Panacur 10% oral liquid which should be given at a dose rate of 0.2ml per kg. It works out much cheaper than the paste over 6 weeks.

Sooz thats fantastic, Thanks a lot :D Thanks O/B for your reply too! :D X

The 10% solution definitely works out way cheaper. The only thing is, I've found it harder to get into bunnies than the paste (as the dosage is higher). It's not bad though, and you save so much on a 6 week course.

Strangely I found it easier, they tend to be able to spit the paste out in my experience due to its thick consistancy.

The liquid needs to be syringe fed though, which sounds like it may be a problem with Rhia, as its dificult to feed in food and tastes pretty vile.

Ohh ******, just thought - If its actual liquid Im gonna have no chance getting it down her :? Hmm, just thinking what I could hide it in - Do the buns not mind the taste of the liquid, same as the paste? Sorry for all the Q's :oops: X

They definitely don't like the taste of the 10% Panacur, so I think you might struggle if you have to get approx 0.5 ml into her (depending on weight).

Strangely I found it easier, they tend to be able to spit the paste out in my experience due to its thick consistancy.

The liquid needs to be syringe fed though, which sounds like it may be a problem with Rhia, as its dificult to feed in food and tastes pretty vile.

You answered my question there - Looks like the paste is the way we'll have to go. As I said on the other thread, she'd have to be sedated for her teeth to be looked at, so Ive no chance :roll: Vet couldnt even lift her head to see her mouth w/out her going mad. So the paste is okay to give for 6 wks then? X

Ive posted this just about on every thread to do with panacur.

At first they hate it, but on the 28th day, i held the syringe out and they hopped over to it and licked it off!

Heres the benjamin

Dont worry too much xx

When Molly was treated with panacur I had to hide it in a piece of banana. I drilled a hole down the piece, squirted the paste in and then covered it up with more banana. By the time he realised that there was some in there it was down his belly! :D You could try a 'panacur sandwich', rolling it up in a spring green leaf? I found it hard to syringe the paste, he wouldn't swallow it and it would just form a big glup down his chin :roll:

I've treated mine with the liquid and it went down fine, a small one mil syringe and no problem, certainly goes down easier than Baytril! Also did my dog and cats, its a bargain really!

Nia used to love the paste! Vet advised me to use the liquid one which is far cheaper. I use a thin syringe and have no problem putting it in the side of Tim's mouth which is just as well as he's on a 60 day course.

Some of mine love the taste of the rabbit panacur...Crunchie even ate part of the plastic tube to get at the contents :shock: :D

Back