• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Stable Doors & Opening Window Advice Needed!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I'm hoping to get my shed with a stable door - is it safe to have the top part open without the wire door due to predators?

As I'm getting one with an opening window what to you do so that no predators can get in the shed through it?

(although I've never seen any we're meant to sometimes get foxes here-hence why when I moved here at the end of last year Merlin moved straight into the shed that was already in the garden)

How do you construct & fix & the inner wire mesh doors that I've seem on here? I really want to have one & need to convince my dad that he's capable of making it for me! :lol: What did you need to buy to make it & how does it lock so that it doesn't infringe on the main shed door shutting?

Any other shed advice for bun mums?

Thanx in advance :wave:

Last edited:
I made mine out of 2 x 2" timber with a baton across the middle. I used welded wire mesh and staped it to the frame after I made it. The door is hung on the same door frame as the main shed door but its inside the shed. I used gate latch hooks connected to the door frame to close it. They are hooked onto the wire mesh when its closed shut. Hope this helps :) If I can make one anyone can :lol:

I wouldn't have the door open unless you've got a wire mesh inner door.

You can make a wooden frame with wire mesh on and fix that to the inside of the window, then you can have your window open too!

This gives you an idea how to make the door http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/diycabins.asp

I managed to make my own mesh doors, and I've never done anything like that before so its not that difficult!:)

I wouldn't leave the upper part of the stable door open without an inner mesh (cats and foxes can jump!!).

I make an inner stable door, similar to how someone has already explained, but I'll try and get some photos from the inside when I get home as it's prob better than explaining. There was only one fiddly bit to it which was attaching the hinges for the inner door in a confined space (short screwdriver required!) - I pretty much did it my myself!

Hannah

Hi there.

I have an assortment of sheds and wendy houses in my garden. One of my wendy houses has a stable door but I wouldn't leave it open without a mesh inner door.

I make a mesh door by building a frame from sawn treated timber (Wickes sell bundles for very little) and weldmesh. Just screw your frame together and u shaped nail and staple the mesh on. Add hinges and bob's your uncle.

IMG_0854.jpg

I made a single door for the wendy house but a split door for the shed. These are locked with bolts at all times.

IMG_0009-1.jpg

I have added weld mesh to the windows too and used the existing perspex to make removable weather screens. You could just add the mesh to the window opening but you might need to adapt it to be able to open and close the window.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing picures:D

My sheds have a split mesh door so that the top can be locked when the main door is open.
For the window, if it opens into the shed you'd need to staple mesh on the outside, and if it opens out into the garden, you'd need to staple mesh on the inside.
runs.jpg

Back