• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Variety of Rex at Local Garden Centre..... :-$

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Well thats what the manager told me anyway. Two Ermine ( REW ) Bucks, 15 weeks old and apparently 'Dwarf Rexes' :? I said did he mean 'Mini Rex' and was told 'no' these are now fully grown ( at 15 weeks...:?) and are a cross between a 'normal' Dwarf Rabbit ( a Nethie :? or just a small normal coated crossbreed :? ) and a Rex. He said they came from 'their BRC Breeder'
I thought the BRC frowned on selling 'stock' to Petshops/Garden Centres and frowned even more on dubious 'cross-breeding' :?
Whilst the Buns were very handsome one had obvious respiratory problems :cry: The manager assured me the Bun would see a Vet today.
He went on to tell me that they may be getting some 'BRC Rung Rabbits' in from their breeder in the future..............:rolleyes:

Janex

Poor fellas:( I really hope they do see a vet

I often wonder about our Luna as shes so tiny, even for a mini rex, but she has no nethie features at all

Fully grown at 15 weeks though :? :?

Poor guys

I have what I think is the same thing arrived to me this morning for bonding. A little black boy from same supply as you are talking about.

Bonding him with Lulu.

Oooo so for a few pounds you can own a stunning collaboration of dental problems, respiratory problems, heart problems and sore hocks.

There's an offer you cant refuse. ;)

Oooo so for a few pounds you can own a stunning collaboration of dental problems, respiratory problems, heart problems and sore hocks.

There's an offer you cant refuse. ;)

And the most likely buyer will be an 8 year old child with a non rabbit savvy parent. Still you rescues can pick up the pieces six months down the line :roll:.

Neil

Well thats what the manager told me anyway. Two Ermine ( REW ) Bucks, 15 weeks old and apparently 'Dwarf Rexes' :? I said did he mean 'Mini Rex' and was told 'no' these are now fully grown ( at 15 weeks...:?) and are a cross between a 'normal' Dwarf Rabbit ( a Nethie :? or just a small normal coated crossbreed :? ) and a Rex. He said they came from 'their BRC Breeder'
I thought the BRC frowned on selling 'stock' to Petshops/Garden Centres and frowned even more on dubious 'cross-breeding' :?
Whilst the Buns were very handsome one had obvious respiratory problems :cry: The manager assured me the Bun would see a Vet today.
He went on to tell me that they may be getting some 'BRC Rung Rabbits' in from their breeder in the future..............:rolleyes:

Janex

Mini Rex were created by crossing standards with Netherland Dwarfs, and some people still use Dwarfs in with their Mini Rex to keep the size down. The standard does state that nethie like features are undesirable so this should stop. It appears it hasn't :roll:

Fingers crossed these buns find good homes.

We were at a local garden centre this weekend, I knew I shouldn't go and look to see if they had rabbits but I couldn't help myself, the hutches they were sold were far too low for a rabbit to stand in so I pointed it out loudly to my o/h, they had 4 young rabbits in, two black babies that looked really young and (I assume it was their mother in a glass fronted enclosure without a for sale sign), a gorgeous white lionhead that was flopped out and an agouti they were on a load of sawdust :roll: I think I'm going to write a letter/e-mail but I haven't worked out exactly what to say yet or how to say it. The only good thing about the enclosure was they head netting up to stop people prodding them.

I thought your local centre had lost it's supllier Jane....shame they've started up again..
Breeders such as this make me so mad....and sad...

I thought your local centre had lost it's supllier Jane....shame they've started up again..

I suppose it's all well and good to say you are not going to suppy garden centres any more, but when too many babies come along at once, or cross breeding "accidents" happen it's an easy way to get rid :cry::cry:

I do know of one breeder who purposely crosses..whilst still arguing they breed to improve show standards:roll::roll:
oh well as already said..if ARC are nearest i expect they'll have most of these buns in by Christmas!:(

They had but someone who lives relatively locally who breeds Rex's now supplies them :( they used to supply another sourse a few years ago ....

Its such a shame when we have some decent breeders on here wondering why so many of us are anti breeding..then there is a brc breeder doing this....
:(
The hypocrisy of some people is so saddening..~Are there no "rules" to being BRC registered? as present it seems, as I said in another thread, having BRC status doesn't guarantee you care standards ..or your motives for breeding.

lets hope these little ones get bought by caring owners..

Janex

'scuse my ignorance (bit of a newbie here) but what are 'BRC Rung Rabbits'? :?
Thanks, Maddie

Back