• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it safe to use harnesses on rabbits?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya
I'm thinking of buying some harnesses and leads for my two girls to allow them access to the whole garden but I still have a hold of them. Are they completely safe? I know that rabbits lead YOU around the garden. That's fine, but how do I sort of control them whilst they are on the lead? How do you stop them going to a flowerbed, for instance? They are easily handled and confident around me. All the girls get to see is their run and their hutch, so I want to give them space and life outside of that. I'll only do this in summer so that they can run around and sit in the shade, and also because they'll be used to the grass by then, cos if I let them out now, they'd gorge themselves on grass and make them ill. What harnesses do you recommend?

i was going to use one on my bunny, but i posted on here and basically i got put off as i was made aware of the dangers....so, me personally, no i don't think they are safe any longer. xx

i don't know. i was more worried about their necks being broken if they jump quickly, being naturally skittish animals. I could never use one on Daisy, she is far too nervy :roll:

I'd be concerned about them pulling to be honest as they could just dart off in a direction.

Is there no way you can bunnyproof an area for them? Could you get come of those pens to give them a bigger area to explore under supervision?

I would love to buy a enourmous run but you can't get ones with any roof on. We have buzzards, cats and foxes around the area so I can't have anything without a roof, unless they are attached to me (like a harness and lead).

well... i dont think youd be able to walk both at the same time. for example, milly coudl go right and molly left, so i would recommend getting one and seeing if they mind.

Only one of my rabbits like a harness. 3 of them hate it and in my opinion i would class it as a dangerous for them because they try and get it off. Peanut (of course!) is fine with it, and i even use a dog clicker to get himt o leave things alone, e.g a flowerbed and he just isnt phased by it.

But iw ould say for the vast mjaority of rabbits they are not suitable, but if they dont mind them, make sure you get a comfortable one

I had a bad experience with a harness, molly almost broke his back and neck when he was in one because he got spooked. I personally think its best to have them in a run or free range, they can't get up to much speed on a harness anyway, if they binky it may get all tangled up.

I know loads of people who use them though so its up to you but in my opinion, no thet are not safe.

What size run would you be able to have? The man that made my run made it to order and was MUCH cheaper than the quotes I had from happy hutch and other places.

xx

I have 5ftx5ftx2ft run at the mo. I could fit a 7ftx7ftx2ft run in the garden, though I don't have much money so can't spend a lot.

Mine was made and it was 8ft x 6ft x 2ft for £90, happy hutch quoted me at £195 and Mr buns at £155. He can give you a quote, I know the 6ft x 4ft run at the mo sells for about £40 on ebay. Its fully folding too so you can fold it away after you have finished with it.

I posted the picture earlier but this is what its like

323.jpg

This is until I can afford a shed with an attached kennel. They both love it though, he can make them up to 3ft high and any size you want (up to 8ft). But if you wanted a harness i'm sure there are lots of people to offer some advice :D

That's a fantastic run :D

Lionheadluver - could you not get another run and attach to the one you currently have?

That is what I am thinks at the mo. The problem is that they churn up the run when they are in it so it has to be moved around every week (when it's on grass) but a huge run like that, I won't be able to move around. I'm thinking of buying the same run again and putting it onto the end of my one now, and it'll still have a roof, but it'll come out as 5ftx10ftx2ft.

That is what I am thinks at the mo. The problem is that they churn up the run when they are in it so it has to be moved around every week (when it's on grass) but a huge run like that, I won't be able to move around. I'm thinking of buying the same run again and putting it onto the end of my one now, and it'll still have a roof, but it'll come out as 5ftx10ftx2ft.

That would be a great size :D

Because the run may get wet, and as I said, can't move that size run around, should I get another smaller run to move around the garden, do you think? like 4ftx4ftx2ft?

I have had a rabbit injure herself on a harness when I was younger. I would never use one again.

The run that I have is fully folding, which means you can fold it all down so its compact so you can keep moving it around the garden. My two are menaces and always have a good dig which is why I needed one which I could fold and move everyso often.

Attaching a run to your current one would be a good idea too though :D

I use harnesses for my buns. Only once did I experience a rabbit getting its feet stuck in it and that was because the harness was too big.

Back