• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO people with old rabbits

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I talked to my mother last night and she said that my bunny Popsel hasn't eaten anything since Friday. He behaves normally otherwise. He drinks and wees, but has not made any poos. The vet gave him all the usual injections. He could not find anything wrong with Popsel's teeth and no hairball blocking etc..

My question is, do bunnies just give up eating when they are getting very old and "the time" has come? He is over 12 years old now, but usually quite active and not looking old at all.

He has never eaten much, and never ate hay, no matter which one we tried. He had a few problems with his teeth when he was about 10 years old, but now the teeth are fine again. He also had a stroke a few years ago, but recovered well from it.

I think there is usually a reason why they have stopped eating. Usually pain I would have though then maybe grief/emotional upset of some kind........although I don't know if buns can suffer "being tired of life".

Could he be suffering from anything like arthritis which might be causing pain? The other thing I wondered about was maybe a mini stroke that might have affected his "hunger" portion of the brain, but I supect other symptoms would also be showing if that was the case.

No personal experience I'm afraid, but I know Sue (SRR) has had very similar problems with Dougal this last couple of weeks. He is 12 ( 13 in July) and she thought he was 'on his way' more than once this time last weekend. I think at one stage he'd not eaten for 3 days. She kept tempting him and gave him extra blankets and a snugglesafe and when I asked how he was in the week ( expecting the worst if I'm honest) she said he'd just come out of it by himself. He was suddenly eating veg again, drinking, meeting her at the hutch door, like there'd never been a problem. She was a bit worried in case it was a last bit of energy before leaving, but so far so good. Never had anything obvious wrong just stopped eating.

I really hope Popsel feels better soon.

Fingers very firmly crossed that Popsel has started eating again. You must be SO worried. ::hugs:: xxxxx

Fingers very firmly crossed that Popsel has started eating again. You must be SO worried. ::hugs:: xxxxx

I am so used to him being part of the family. He's a shy little Nethie cross, but obviously a tough cookie, too. My mother always complains that he is taking up a whole room in her flat, but she would be very upset if he was gone, too.

My mother said that Popsel had some kind of seizure yesterday. He suddenly jumped around like mad and then fell over and didn't move any more. Then he slowly got up again, but could not breathe much any longer. The vet put him under GA and checked him with an endoscope and x-ray, but could not find anything abnormal. It was probably some problem in his brain. They decided to not wake him up from his sleep any more. :cry::cry::cry:

My mother said that Popsel had some kind of seizure yesterday. He suddenly jumped around like mad and then fell over and didn't move any more. Then he slowly got up again, but could not breathe much any longer. The vet put him under GA and checked him with an endoscope and x-ray, but could not find anything abnormal. It was probably some problem in his brain. They decided to not wake him up from his sleep any more. :cry::cry::cry:

So sorry Gisela :( Big hugs for you and your mum xxx

Im so very sorry :cry: He lived a fantastic long life so remember that :) Thinking of you and your mum.

Back