• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urgent advice needed... Updated

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi, just need some advice for a friend’s bunny please…

This is part of an email she sent me today. Eil has not been eating well recently:

“They took him in Friday morning as still no better and losing weight. They knocked him out and found no problems at all with his teeth or mouth so went on to x ray his tummy.
They called me about 2pm to say the x ray showed a dark mass in his lower tummy area. She wanted to bring him round, send him home and take him back today to re x ray then investigate if still showed the dark mass.
I said I would rather they did it there and then as he was already under anaesthetic and I didn’t think after 3 weeks of messing about he would improve over the weekend. Also could not afford 2x x-rays and anaesthetics etc…

They opened him up and found all his intestine was swollen and a nasty dark grey colour instead of the healthy pink it should have been. They don’t have a clue as to what has caused it but say everything in there is working, all the vessels etc going in and out are fine so stitched him up and sent him home.
He didn’t eat a thing Saturday so I was giving him critical care all day. Yesterday he ate a bit of parsley and cabbage so I went gathering dandelion leaves and he ate some of them too but still not a lot.
The vet said this morning to just continue as I am with the antibiotics and critical care until he stars eating on his own again.
I think it might go on a while and am quite concerned as we are going into his 4th week of being ill.”

What does anyone think it could be?

Thanks
Nicky

Last edited:
he's on painkillers and fluids. My friend is really worried as brown coloured intestines don't sound good. :?

I can't really help that much but the first thing that popped into my head is in people if they're bowel is that colour it means the tissue had died :? But if the vet thinks that your friends buns bowel has blood supply then it's puzzling:? and obviously if the bowel had died the bun would be a lot sicker.

I have no idea what this could be, but maybe the bun could go to a second rabbit-savvy vet for an additional opinion? Sending loads of vibes.

AMETHYST

Yes, I meant that too... although it does sound as if the owners don't really want that either. :?

AMETHYST

It wasn't a dig Liz, Im just in a lazy mood and can't be bothered to type long posts....awkward laptop resting position :lol:

It wasn't a dig Liz, Im just in a lazy mood and can't be bothered to type long posts....awkward laptop resting position :lol:

It's okay, I didn't take it as a dig at all - just wanted to clarify (I'm not really thinking straight right now and tend to miss things out when typing!). :) :wave:

AMETHYST

Just to let you know that Eli sadly went to the bridge tonight about an hour ago. My friend was feeding him some veg when he started convulsing, then passed away.

Thanks for the replies.

Rip Eli :cry:

Back