• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and Cats?

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
Im moving house in the summer, am buying my first home!! :D Am going to possibly move Joey and Saffron outside into a big shed converted for buns. They will still be allowed inside but am going to climatise them over the summer, obviously on cold nights ect they will have heat pads.

We have been discussing getting a kitten/2 kittens. Reason I want kittens is that i want them to be used to the buns. Joey has met a bunny friendly cat before when i was looking for a wife for him, he snubbed all he female buns (well ran away!) but loved her cat :roll: she actually said have you thought of getting him a cat instead :lol: it was quite sweet seeing the cat giving him a good wash.

I would like to know anyone who has experience of cats and buns together, i had cats with my outdoor buns but they didnt come into contact very often and i was alot younger, i know they got on fine but obviously want to know other peoples experiences to make an informed decision.

La x

I have Colin and Nigel together free range in the house. We got Nigel as a companion for Colin (as well as the fact I totally adored him :love:) as Colin hates other cats and won't tolerate them, becoming depressed and anxious.

He loves Nigel. They sleep under the bed together, roll around and play, chase each other and groom one another.They share a litter tray too. I really don't know where they'd be if they got split up now, Colin has even started copying Nigel and trying to eat his hay and veg! :lol:

I just introduced them by letting Colin into the room Nigel was in and letting them sniff around. I'm sure it would be ok. :D

Yes this is the kind of stories ive heard, never thought rabbits and cats would get on so well! Was Colin young when you got nigel?

No he was about 4. The whole house was his territory too, but he accepted Nigel into it without a problem, even put up with his humping before we got Nigel snipped! :lol:
Mind you having said that, Colin is the dopiest cat I've ever met, if you got a feisty one they may not be as tolerant, although if you are planning on getting kittens there shouldn't be a problem. If you're getting from a rescue could you take the bun to meet the cat?

We have 3 house cats who we got as kittens for the same reason as yo mentioned.

I wouldn't say they are great friends as the cats adore each other and have no need for the companionship of a rabbit and Lexie is a loner but they certainly tolerate and respect each other, and thats all I really wanted.

our old cats werent prolific hunters..well tabs would mouse and eat it on the spot..she didnt like to play with her food! the 3 were fatty catties aged 7 and 6...kibbles was a bunny baby from thepet shop..she was my first bun dont yell!! tabby and snuggles went up to the cage fluffed up their tails and hackles and legged it..later on they became friends with her tabby and kibbles were each others nemesis when one was ill.....snugles beacme the love of kibles life..had to be spayed cos she came into milk etc being near him! he developed heart disease and she took care of him trimming his toenails washing his nose...keeping him company and warm. Bumble my little cat was who i got kibbles for..a nervy weird little cat it was a choice of valiaum or a bunny...she went right up to kibles that first day and introduced herslef as if theyd know each other for years. kibbles used to rampage round the house with all 3 of them too..when snuggles died kibbles became pining ill and died 2 monthslater had to be pts cos of teeth again..the other two ctas missed her so much they didnt eat for 48hrs!

whenw e got woozle he was a baby and the ladies missed him when he went and if he wasnt in the same room as them but they used to swipe him as he went past no claws tho.....and hey drank his water but he loved chasing them back..they didnt go for him go for him or try and hurt ot hunt him..they just got too old for a rambunctious baby buny.

when woozle died however they both missed him loads and esp bumble..so we got oscar..as soon as we got him in she sniffed him washed his head and her tail went up for the firsat time since woozledied..
oscar was the most loving clean affectionate bunnyive ever met.....when bumble was dying she went into his open dog crate to drink and sit...we took her to be pts about an hour later......oscar never recovered from that plus bumble was his pal..headored her. tabby used to insist on eating next to oscar as they were both so lonely..then tabby and my dad died and oscar had a melt down and bif came from the rescue to be his bun wife.
sadly 6 months later oscar died and bertie arrived to save bifs life. a month or so later we took on two scrappy kits..one to keep and one to get fit and rehome. we kept them both:oops:

bif is always nicknamed mummy bif as her maternal behavious is so strong...the kits used to follow her everywhere and i was worried..then i realsied they were seeking suckling!! Salem kitty had trouble weeing in trays he didnt know how to not sit in it or get his tail out the way.bif would herd him inot her litter tray and she trained him! they do chase her abit but she turns round and chases them back..no clAWS OR TEETH from anyone either. When salem and zuzu fight too much she charges in grunting and seperates them its so funny to see like shes telling them ot behave or go their rooms:lol:

she lovs salem washing her and keeping her warm. Bertie loves playing with the cats and salem and zuzu grew up cuddled up with the two buns for warmth. along cmae willow who had to kept apart from bertie n bif till she was safe and spayed cos of bossy bif. so willow had her exercise andplaytime with two kittens and rolled aorund play fighting with them..they never ever hurt her..they adored her and chewed and sucked her fur..climbed all over her and rolled on the floor with her. Now shes a huge 14lb doe and they stilllove her and she loves them..thankfully shes too big for their hooded litter tray anymore!! she used to get caught short and dive into the downstairs loo and use the cats tray..but she pees like ahorse..they werent amused and her poos are huge..but the kits grew up playing with berties huge poos..they think theyre toys!

an older cat whos mainly an indoor cat and less likely to be a hunter..might work...kittens who are from a non prolofic hunting cat work too but kittens are manic....but osme buns love that as theyre as bad,....if your bun doesnt get on well with other bunsthen a cat is wonderful..cats hate being bossed about by buns so they bow down to them more..least in our house buns are boss!:lol:

If you do a search this has been discussed a lot before.

My cat Worm got on great with Audrey. Worm was about 2/3 when I first got rabbits and she was from a rescue. I personally think an adult cat is better- they are calmer and less likely to injure the rabbit in play.

Hi
I had cats first (3).
When we brought first rabbit (Daisy) home, there was alot of interest in her and the rabbit showed no fear. She tried to chase them so they soon kept a wide berth. Just one cat maintained his interest, but after a couple of good natured mutual chases things settled down. The next 2 rabbits to arrive showed no interest whatsoever in the cats and vice versa. They were rescues and could easily have been used to cats.
I often find one of the cats curled up in a hutch:roll:
Rabbit number 4 is a housebun and the cats are scared of her- in the early days she would hop up behind them and hump them unexpectedly- now she's spayed she doesnt bother but they still run a mile if they get a sniff of her.
Thats my experience of cats and buns- all good!

Hmmm ok thankyou everyone :D

I am going to climatise the bunnies over the summer to living in a shed with a heat pad at night when its cold, they stay in the utility at night and dont go near the heater much even when theres a frost and its cold out there so they should be ok. Im taking my time finding the right cat/kitten so will see, im in no rush. :)

i agree with Mandy, an adult cat is less likely to harm a bunny as kittens can be very playful and a bit nippy/scratchy, without realising they hurt!

We have 4 buns and 2 cats. Both sets of buns have been in the house with Eeny and they all tolerate each other well. They chase and run around but I would never leave them alone together (not saying you would) as would never 100% trust them not to hurt one another.

good luck!!

ps: Eeny was a kitten when we introduced her to a bunny for the first time. :D

mine are idiots but your right if youve got a nethie a cat cant help but chase it..try having a frenchie or a big bun..cats never realy think theyre prey animals then:lol::lol:

bandit is the usual worry but our cats are daft as brushes and he used to love chasing them and getting them to chase him back but they never would risk really chasing him..they think all buns are like willow and bif..women who dont take any rubbish!:lol:

Today zuzu was bored and her brother was snoring upstiars so she cuddled bertie rubbed round him then climbed over him and then sat on his back like t was normal...:oops: the thing is so did he!!:lol:

salem came for a cuddle and couldnt see me for the organge and white fur mask he was wearing..willo and bertie fur from his chin to up over his eyebrows and ear bases..and his whiskers..and he wass till purring where hed been making a fuss of them. i agree kittens are more rambunctious but also they grow up in the bunny hierachy....or become equals.or hate each other:lol:

cats have tunnel vision when playing but thats how the buns nick their toys n run off with them and the cats are like..huh..what happened? cue buns sniggering inside the tent with stolen cat toys!

Ours get on great, well the girls rule and Jack the cat does as he is told :lol: Jack was a kitten when we got him and the buns were 7 months old, we have never had any problems. I think if they are babies it is much easier to introduce them as they will never know any difference.

Here are a couple of photos of our lot together.

Picture053.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Back