• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maa is a Mess

elve

Banned
:( In spite of being given a bigger hutch, and I've tried every combination of litter tray/no litter tray/trays here/there/everywhere she STILL refuses to go to the toilet in her hutch overnight - and obviously I can't leave her out all night, with foxes around, and even letting her have a last wee at 11pm and letting her out at 8am means 9 hours holding her wee :roll: and during those 9 hours she won't eat any hay or eat her caecals :roll: the whole pack of cards is now collapsing as I think she's going into stasis today and wouldn't eat more than a few bits of fresh grass (normally irresistable) - so I guess a month refusing to eat hay has given the silly moo tooth problems, as well as gut problems, so she'll need a dental now :roll: I let her out this morning and she rushed over to the drain, balanced on the little wall next to it, with her bum hanging over, and peed about a gallon - I think she'd like a flush toilet ideally :? Just a few tiny poops though this morning :( AAAAArgh it's so infuriating - I've done everything right, and even given her a gigantic new hutch, but she has to be a barmy bunny and spoil her own health :(

Anyway - I'm filled with confidence :roll: by the fact that only a locum is on at the vets today - got an appointement this evening as ex has to drive us/childmind the dog phobic kid - no doubt I will be given some baytril :? yeah and she'd hardly drunk anything last night either - she normally drinks loads - I think she's really poorly :(

oh no! i really hope she isnt poorly.

have you thought about a little run attached the her hutch overnight. you could move the hutch and have the run so that it is near or over where she likes to wee.

Oh elve, I am SO sorry to hear this. Silly Maa, you MUST stop making yourself ill......think of your poor mummy!!! :no:

I hope she can get sorted out at the vets......having to see a locum is one of my biggest phobias.:roll:

(((((((VIBES))))))) for Maa. xxx

Oh no poor maa. Its very odd that she won't wee, poor girly. Is there no way that she could have a small run attached to her hutch so that she has somewhere to wee?

oh no poor Maa :shock:

I really don't know what to offer in the way of advice. But I hope that she isnt poorly.

Sending huges vibes for Maa xx

It is a 2x5 hutch over same sized run, so the run underneath is on concrete, which I was hoping might be similar enough to the concrete on the patio where she wees, but no apparently not :( I can't move the hutch to the patio where she does wee, as it's where the group of girls exercise and they'd all kill each other if she was there, plus it floods when it rains :roll:

Unfortunately the good vet I normally see isn't on till Thursday, and I think it's a bit urgent...although it's a toss up between which is worst - leaving it till Thursday or seeing a locum that knows next to nothing about rabbits :( At least if I see the locum I'll feel like I've done something

Coldn't you take her to a different vet, mine are really bunny savvy but don't know where abouts in S Yorks you are.

Poor you. :( Maa is such a worry. I hope the vet is more help than you think. Good luck!

Apologies if it's blatently obvious and you've tried it already, but perhaps its the litter, not the tray, that she's being fussy about? I know cats often refuse certain types of cat litter :?

Aww Elve. I'm sorry. Naughty Maa. I hope you are able to sort her out and that she gets better very soon.

awww hun what a nightmare :( silly maa being such a stubborn lady !!

if she sits on a drain maybe some sort of plastic covering over the litter tray might fool her??

Oh Elve. I am so sorry to hear Maa is still being a dafty duck - what is she like :(:( You must be so stressed.

I don't know if there is a Bach flower remedy that might be helpful too her. I am clutching at straws here for you but anything might be worth trying.

Is it worth trying the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors - I am pretty sure you can ask for help on line.

Thinking of you, hoping that there is some help from the vets.

Vanessa xx

have you any vet bed ....all my buns cant resist wee ing on that :shock:

if you havent any i can send you a bit if you like ...you could put it in a litter tray with news paper underneath .

Can you not bring her indoors for a while? I know she has preferred to be outside, but it might be best to try something different.

awww thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions - I think they call it brainstorming :D Contrary Mary, as I'm now going to call her :roll: has just been handfed 5 (yes FIVE :shock:) handfuls of grass and dandelions (took some finding) and then started on some hay I hopefully offered her :shock: But she wouldn't eat her SS pellets and I've noticed this new bag is different - the pellets are curly, and she seemed to be struggling to chew them :? I'll break them into tiny pieces for her next time - I gave her a dish of hot peach squash (I know :roll:) which she did have a drink of - very funny to see her tongue afterwards licking her lips like mad :lol: So now she'll get bloat of course :roll: but I'm pretty sure her teeth are fine - she didn't struggle at all with a pile of grass - hoovered it up :D And she did some 'dog poo' - and ate a caecal poop :D Still far from normal in the poo dept, but at least things are moving down there again :)

So - vets is cancelled for now :shock: She's settled down on the patio for her siesta - hope she'll be doing some poopies later too :) Poor Benny looked on enviously as she devoured all the grass - I only had enough for him to have a small handful :oops:

Regards her litter - it's just megazorb like I've always used - she was perfectly litter trained till about a month ago - over 2yrs using a tray then suddenly decides not to after I accidentally got some hay in her litter tray - it was then designated in her (mad bunny) mind as 'bed' - even though the real 'bed' was right next to it, brimming with hay - and she's refused to go to the loo in her hutch since, even a new hutch, on concrete, with empty litter trays :shock: silly moo - she's doing what a bunny does best - worrying her keeper and making me jump through hoops for her :lol:

Back