• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not normal poos

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Sorry that this is a pretty disgusting thread guys.
I noticed this morning that Flo's poos were a little different, Some are not as dry as usual, and some were even joined together. Last night we noticed that she seemed to slow down on her eating of the pellets (normally she gobbles them all up), and seemed to be eating more of the hay. Is there something wrong with her or is it just an upset tummy? Just wandered if you think I should take her to the vets to be on the safe side.
Thanx x.

Hiya :wave:

Were they joined together by hair? If so she may have ingested some hair. Is she a fluffy bunny? I think its moult season (it is for my two anyway) and I have to keep brushing them to make sure they don't over-groom themselves which causes them to ingest lots of hair. If you notice shes slowing down eating and it comes to a stop I would pop her to the vets for a check up. There is something they can take which can break down the fur (if it is too much fur shes ingested) but iv forgotten what it is! You could also put some probiotic into her water too.

Hope Flo is ok!

xx

It looks like hay that's not been digested properly, not sure if it is that though. The last time I saw anything like this with Flo was after she was spayed. Also, some of her poos are larger than normal, and definately more moist. I just don't know what it could be.
Thanks for your advice x.

Have there been any changes to her diet? More greens than normal?

How does her tummy feel?

What are her poo's like now?

and, is she acting normally?

Her tummy feels quite soft - I assume that's normal?
I've just cleaned her out and as yet she hasn't pood, but will keep an eye on it.
Her diet hasn't changed at all, apart from we started a new bag of SS, but she's used to that anyway so am completely puzzled.
She's acting normally - binkying, ripping up paper and being quite naughty actually.
Any ideas?
Many thanks x.

I'd just keep an eye on her, make sure she is eating and then poo'ing.

Doesn't sound bad just like you mentioned undigested hay. How many pellets do you feed?

Too many probably. She has a bowlful in the morning and another at night. The vet said this is too much, but she eats it all and I don't really want to leave her without. She has constant access to hay thoughout the day. She regularly has parsely and carrot as well.
Thank you, x.

wow that sounds way too much!

What size is she? Sounds then like her digestive system is playing catch up and isn't digesting and simply passing the food through.

Depending on her size obviously depends on her food intake but I have a mini lop who has half a cup (not mug) in the morning and half a cup in the evening. Probably all in all a handfull.

Hay I feed in unlimited quanties, then grass, a few leafy carrot tops, very small fruit then small smount of pellets.

Think of pellets as sweets. Also rabbits will eat and eat so whilst she may eat it all she won't need it all.

x

Too many probably. She has a bowlful in the morning and another at night. The vet said this is too much, but she eats it all and I don't really want to leave her without. She has constant access to hay thoughout the day. She regularly has parsely and carrot as well.
Thank you, x.

If you are feeding 2 bowlfulls a day she is getting about 600% more than the amount she actually needs to keep her healthy.

If you feel that it is cruel to leave her without any pellets ... spare a thought for what you are actually doing to her by giving her this excessive amount. This might sound harsh but it is a proven fact that rabbits who are fed excessive amounts of dried proprietry pellets eat less hay. Rabbits who eat less hay are more at risk of dental disease, GI stasis, dirty bottoms due to inability to clean themselves which can lead to fly strike, excessive caecotrophs which can get stuck on to the fur also making them more at risk of fly strike, heart and vascular diesease, obesity ....... in short your rabbit is more than likely destined for an unhealthy shortened life, you are destined for large vet bills.

Rabbits in the wild are unable to obtain any form of pellets and survive on grasses, roots and any plants they can gain access to.

It is for this reason rabbits need minimal pellets and 90% of their diet should be hay. It is better to give a rabbit less pellets and more hay than give too much pellets and lots of hay.

She is a dwarf lop.
I will reduce the amount of pellets I give her, but she has lots of hay and readily eats that all the time anyway.
By bowlful I meant rabbit bowl, so this would probably equate to a handful.
Thank for your advice guys, this is my first rabbit and I'm still learning x.

I assumed you meant a rabbit bowl standard sized.

It is still too much honestly.

Its good that she eats hay concentrate on feeding that.

Pellets in a normal rabbit bowl should just cover the base of the bowl but you can still see the base of the bowl.

Something you can do is soak a pellet in water and see how it inflates. This is happening in her tummy also.

Ask away, your doing the best thing by getting advice and no one can argue with that.

x

Thanks Kay.
I have already started to make changes to how much I'm feeding Flo, am horrified to think I might have caused this :cry:
Still no poos yet, hoping that will change soon, but it is her sleep time now anyway.
Again, thanks for your advice, you have been really helpful x.

No problems Sam :D, I hope that she poo's soon though. Just keep an eye on her and let us know whether she does or doesn't.

Good news all.
Flo has been pooing normally again. I am so relieved! I have made changes to her diet and she now has 2 small egg cups full of pellets in the morning/ evening, will reduce this down to 1 egg cup in a week. She has been eating much more hay now, as her pellets aren't there anymore for her to snack on.

She had a lovely run around the house this morning and seems fine in herself, so think we are both feeling much happier!

Thank you for your advice xx.

Back