• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bleeding Hock

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
Just came downstairs to let the buns out and I saw some red on the floor - asked hubby if they had anything red to eat - like strawberry or something and they hadn't. Picked Splodge up 1st & her hock was covered in blood.

I have bathed it in salt water, and tried to cut some of the fur around it so I can see what is going on, but the fur is so thick that I can't really see what is going on. I was trying to hold her & cut & bathe!!

Hubby tried holding her but she wriggled all over the place - she is a very wriggly bun. So then I held her and she stayed really still for me, but hubby was so useless trying to bathe her and cut the fur I had to do it by myself.

I've looked round the hutch and there is no sign of anything that she has caught it on, and it is fesh blood, so must have been done in the hutch somewhere, or it just started on it's own.

Read somewhere to put sudocreme on it - is that OK? I'm sure I have some somewhere.

I will look at it again before bed to ensure it's not still bleeding. Is there anything else I can do?

Not much help I'm afraid, but I think sudocreme is OK. I've used that on my piggies before.

Hope she gets better soon x

Yes, sudocream is fine. Does the hutch have a run attached? I ask because I've often seen Floss come hurtling down the ramp and practically go into a full skid on the patio trying to get to the pellets before Bournville. How she's not skinned her hocks, I don't know!

yes Sudocream is fine, or your vet will be able to give you a cream.
If they are on a hard floor, just try to 'pad' it as much as possible and try to avoid going up a wooden ramp if in a hutch&run combi.
Hope it gets better soon. :D

The buns are inside - they were inside the hutch which has cushion flooring. I don't have a run attached. The conservatory floor is also cushion flooring with loads of rugs. They'd been dozing for an hour or so, so not quite sure how it happened!

I've managed to bathe it and put sudacrem on. When I had a quick check before bed I couldn't tell which foot it was, so I had a look and it seems to have stopped bleeding.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Will keep my eye on it.

Maybe she had an itch & bit it!!! :lol: They've been dozy and cuddling and kissing most of the day!! Aww :love: :love:

Back