• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you feed your rabbits?

ClaireM

New Kit
I'm just wandering when you all feed your rabbits. At the moment I give Henry his pellets (an espresso cup amount) just before he goes into his cage for the night with plenty of hay, he also gets hay in the morning before I go to work. I also give him some veggies in the morning and then in the evening when I am home.

Does this sound right or should I give him the pellets in the morning? I have noticed that in the morning his nighttime 'poos' are much softer??

Sorry for the basic question but three weeks into owning him I want to make sure I am doing everything right! :?

I don't think it really matters when they're fed as long as they are fed once a day.
I feed my buns at home at night, Zakura so I can lure her back into her hutch after a day of running around in the run, and Sasuke so he'll be preoccupied when I'm trying to sleep (for a few minutes...)
Aroma is at school so she's usually fed during lunch break, or the first recess.
Hay and water is added whenever I see that its empty/about to go empty.

I give mine a small amount at about 7am and a small amount at about 6pm. Barney and Roxy have loads of hay throughout the day.

I think you need to keep it quiet regular as their tummies can be delicate.

mine have pellets at about 7.30am, hay all day and veg at 6pm.

i read that they shouldnt have food other than hay overnight because it does something to poop.

Mine get small amount SS pellets with herbs/veg in the morning and the same in the evening around 7ish. Hay all day and night is available :D

An eggcup full of pellets between the two of them in the morning, unlimited hay and some veg in the evening. The amount of veg depends on how long they've been on the grass during the day. Tim has the same, but fewer pellets. He has a few more in the evening after I've done his panacur to try to sweeten him up!:lol:

veg at just after 8am so i can leave my angels to go to work :cry:

small handful of pellets at lunch time again so i can go back to work :cry: (or at about 1130 if ste has day shift)

small bits of guilt fruit in the evening (they are too cute to say no and ive not seen em alllll day)

a large handful of pellets at about 1130pm so i can go to bed.... i have no idea if ste uses pellets to get them to go to bed at 5am cus im usually snoring by then :lol::lol::lol:

edit - handfuls of hay daily... they get thro a bag of alfa king timothy hay and a bag of meadow pasture hay weekly... plus some oat hay and brome hay :D

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will try giving him a small amount of pellets in the morning and a little at night with a view to eventually only giving them in the morning. That might help the soft poo situation!

Ours usually have greens in the morning, a fruit treat once at some time during the day, unlimited hay all day and a small handful of pellets as "supper" whenever we go to bed:)

Mine get a handful of pellets between them at about 5/6am [or a bit later on the weekend! :)] and then a bowl full of mixed veg in the evening when I get home between 6-8pm... they get their hay topped up in the morning and in the eve [and during the day if I'm there but I always leave them with enough if they're not :)]

Thanks for all the replies, Henry doesn't seem to eat a lot of hay which surprises me. I stuff it in things which grabs his attention but I don't ever have to top it up. How much do you tend to give ?

I have stuck with the same routine with both Bindi and Maya.

They have their pellets in the morning, with some veg.

A never ending supply of hay.

And in the evening they get a second lot of veg. And Maya has his eyes cleaned and they are both given a hair and coat supplement.

I'm just wandering when you all feed your rabbits. At the moment I give Henry his pellets (an espresso cup amount) just before he goes into his cage for the night with plenty of hay, he also gets hay in the morning before I go to work. I also give him some veggies in the morning and then in the evening when I am home.

Does this sound right or should I give him the pellets in the morning? I have noticed that in the morning his nighttime 'poos' are much softer??

Sorry for the basic question but three weeks into owning him I want to make sure I am doing everything right! :?

I'm not entirely sure how much an espresso cup would be - could you weigh the pellets that fit in it? It sounds to me like he's having too many in the evening which are resulting in excess cecotrophes in the morning.

Try giving half in the morning and half at night, also cutting down on them slightly should encourage him to eat more hay :)

I'm sure i read somewhere not to feed too late at night (hay being an exception of course), because that's when they eat their caecotrophes, and if they are full up on pellets or veg then they may not eat their softies??? The same applies to midday'ish too!

Maybe i dreamt that? :? :lol:

Back